Longer video of Native Americans, MAGA cap high-schoolers, and Black Hebrew Israelites encounter tells a different story

Thanks for pointing out how emo_pinata’s question just misses the mark. It doesn’t matter whether the kids were doing racist chants or not. Racism exists. If they weren’t doing the chants then no doubt they were doing something else. So we might as well stick with the original story. Just look at those hats.

I wish people would understand that facts aren’t important. They’re just someone else’s spin. The reality is racism and we do good work by opposing it even if the actual person being opposed didn’t do the thing we originally thought. If we get distracted asking “what really happened?” then we will never succeed. Besides, by the time anyone figures it out, we’ll be on to a new topic.

I probably need to add /s

Edit: To answer the original question, the relevant part of the video is about 1:09-1:14. When Nathan Philips and a few others show up with drums, the kids clap, do their school cheer and start jumping around waving their hands and dancing. There are two chants that I can make out. One is telling “hey” in time to the beat. The other sounds an awful lot like the Atlanta Braves tomahawk chop.

The only thing that leaves me in some doubt is that they were doing a similar vocalizing chant a few minutes earlier before Nathan Philips showed up.

2 Likes

Third only to the Black Muslim Native Americans. Who are second only to the Black Muslim Native American Homosexuals.
/s
The catch-all term is “other” - anyone who is not of the suburban/rural white European heritage, conservative, xtian, nuclear family, ‘family values’ persuasion.

2 Likes

their is nothing wrong with red per se, it is their dumpster fire of morals and personalities that have tainted the red hats not the other way around. if nazi wore blue triangles we hate those instead of swastica, because they are active symbols of hate and oppression.

13 Likes

Your definition of “other” is way too narrow. I am staight, white, male, Christian, fairly well off, and yet become “other” due to loving and supporting LGBT family members, having most of my closest friends from minority groups, and holding what we were taught were Christian values, like “love your neighbor,” “be kind to the travelers in your midst,” “judge not that you also may not be judged,” “remove the log from your own eye before complaining about the mote in your neighbor’s” and, best of all, “let him who is without sin cast the first stone.” I have to wonder how many of these are taught now a days? Anyway, yeah, I am not “other” until I open my mouth. There are lots who don’t have that option, and I am aware of that privilege. I am also remakably bad at keeping my mouth shut, so…

9 Likes

Oh, I fully agree.

It was merely a swift summary attempt to characterise these fuckwits. The list of potential ‘other’ characteristics is very, very long indeed where they are concerned. Their minds are so narrow one wonders their brains don’t die of paper cuts.

4 Likes

Like they say, “If the MAGA hat fits…”

3 Likes

This will, I think, eventually doom these guys. It’s not enough to be a racist, sexist, homophobic asshole, you have to be the right kind of sexist, racist, homophobic asshole. They will turn on each other in time. I am just not certain there will be anything left of the US by then.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I need a more reliable publication than Reason, which is notionally a few steps up from Breitbart. Anyone who gives STOSSEL aid and comfort is, like Camelot, a silly place and we shouldn’t go there.

7 Likes

Update: There are strong suggestions that this twitter account is fake/belongs to a troll.

14 Likes

Well, I can’t say I’m surprised that such vile and hateful came from that kid’s mother.

9 Likes

The adults chaperoning these kids should have never let the interaction escalate. Its their responsibility to manage the behavior of these kids.

13 Likes

Jeez indeed. Crucifixion is too good.

Ummm, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Yeah, i would have to say this woman just sealed her son’s fate, if it wasn’t already. I know I should stop being shocked by the amount of racism in the MAGA camp, but I really still am. Every time I think they have hit bottom, some asshole starts digging faster.

8 Likes

Thousands of young idiots proudly displayed images of evil, such as Mao and Che, without causing any great harm. Many of them turned out okay as I’m sure most of these classmates will.

Very handy to have a hat to point to and call out the enemy; rallies the troops.

1 Like

You forgot to say “both sides!”

14 Likes

When a POC is taunted, they are obligated to walk away without escalating the situation in any way (for a recent example, see the remarks made about the black FedEx driver in this thread).

When a white person is taunted, they are obligated to be an obnoxious, threatening little shit who’s just standing up for themselves. (:roll_eyes: to both of those sentiments)

Ah yes, the life-ruining shame of being called out for doing something bad that has destroyed the lives of so many white men, who go on to suffer the grave consequences of, say, sitting on the Supreme Court or triumphantly returning to the comedic stage to joke about masturbating in front of women and calling trans teenagers snowflakes. The horror.

To pick up from my comment in the previous thread: I went to a different private Catholic high school in the same diocese as CovCath when I was growing up. In my senior year, we put on a performance of The Sound of Music at a nearby theater. Before one of our dress rehearsals, some of the kids decided to save themselves some time and take advantage of the more private facilities at school, and changed into their costumes before walking to the theater.

Some of them were playing the Nazis in the final act. You can probably imagine how that went down with the neighbors.

Those kids got a serious dressing-down from the teacher who was directing the play in front of the entire cast, and were very nearly suspended. When there is institutional will, it is possible to do the right thing and call out kids’ stupid, shitty behavior rather than make excuses for it.

To be sure, my school was hardly a beacon of progressive values. Like CovCath, it costs a fortune to go there. It was and is overwhelmingly white, both in terms of student and faculty composition. While girls are admitted (a development which predated my attendance, but was still fairly recent), there are plenty more boys than girls in each grade. We literally shared a parking lot with a church. The fact that changing into a costume with a swastika on the arm didn’t throw any sort of alarm bell in my classmates’ heads makes it pretty clear that there was a hell of a lot of white privilege floating around. But the contrast between the education and upbringing I received there, and what had to have gone on at CovCath to produce these little shitheads, is stark. Anybody attempting to excuse or justify the behavior of these boys is telling on themselves.

16 Likes

There a is a huge difference. Mao and Che did not have a political movement behind them that controls 5/6 of the US government. Mao and Che had virtually no impact on the everyday lives of most Americans. Not so here. This is domestic. Makes all the difference in the world.

11 Likes

10 Likes

Not to mention that “wearing a MAGA hat” is not why these kids are getting called out. It’s “wearing a MAGA hat while acting like racist assholes” that is warranting the coverage. Nobody would have said boo if they’d just worn their hats to the March For Controlling Women’s Bodies and then left (which is, itself, a whole other can of worms).

13 Likes
23 Likes