Luke Cage

BFFs?

3 Likes

Yeah, but that’s gender neutral…

2 Likes

Really? Have you ever heard two boys or men referring to themselves that way?

Maybe they do in Atlanta. Around here, it’s just not used for guys.

3 Likes

Hm. I guess not, but I’ve referred to men that way?

I guess I assumed it was gender neutral and maybe it’s not?

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know either, but I’ve never heard it used around here for any male friendship at any age.

3 Likes

Okay… fair enough!

3 Likes

My BFF and I do! It does weird out our wives though.

3 Likes

I thought the term “bromance” mostly referred to the courtship stage of a male-male friendship rather than a “best buds for life” sort of situation?

4 Likes

Could well be. I’m calling it as I see it used in pop culture. Good chance there’s stuff I’m missing.
And TBH, I’m more than a bit shit at people-ing anyway, so I’m waaaaaayy outta my depth here.

3 Likes

Really? That’s cool! Do you have daughters who used the term, or how did you hear about it?

3 Likes

No, we were BFFs before he even got married or I had kids.

We just keep our ears to the grindstone of pop culture.

2 Likes

5 Likes

He’s a good shooter too!
http://www.imaginoor.com/

2 Likes

i don’t know if you really care but i have an update: i met a girl at a dance but she lives far away and only occasionally comes into town for volunteer work. but we text a lot. it’s good so far.

on terms for female friendship:
I’ve non-legally, unofficially, gayly married several of my female friends, in a friend way, not in a romantic way, so I already solved this problem by referring to them as ‘wives’. We will have no children, and we will live in a queer anarchist commune, and have hamsters, chickens, and parrots.

on a different note, actually relating to the original topic:
I discovered a statistic that about 1% of police officers are women of color and it made me think back to the show; any thoughts on the show’s representation of the struggles of black women in police work? regular crime shows that don’t involve superpowers are not my usual thing so I don’t really know how Luke Cage compares to other representations of that on TV.

anybody here seen Atlanta? all I have is Netflix so I’ve just heard about it from friends…

2 Likes

Have Atlanta queued up, need to get through S2 Mr. Robot then going to dive into Atlanta.

2 Likes

Resurrection of thread.

I am late to the show, but about half way in. So far I am liking it.

Mike Colter is a great fit for the character, as he was in Jessica Jones. I appreciate the nod to the old costume in the flash back scene.

I was confused as to the time line, as this really felt before Jessica Jones, like soon after escaping prison. But no it was after.

One weak spot is I feel like the background music could be better. But at the same time they have featured guest spots and background music that was great.

2 Likes

Say what? I thought the soundtrack was pretty great overall.

4 Likes

The incidental music. The stuff in the background. I dunno, it just seems… off… just like stock filler off the shelf.

Anytime an actual song has been used or like the songs in the club have been great. Probably making the “meh” of the rest look worse.

3 Likes

OK, for a minute there I thought you were dissing the Delphonics.

1 Like

Even if his eyeballs are bulletproof (and I think nurse Rosario Dawson established they aren’t in Jessica Jones) that crap would have to sting.

Don’t know about bullet proof, but squishy enough to go around and, as the dialogue stated, go alongside the optic nerve.

3 Likes