Gotta get your fix somehow…

3 Likes

That’s over 378 Corgis! :astonished:

3 Likes

Corgi Anyone GIF

8 Likes

That’s the prize in every shipment!

1 Like

More like, pissed it wasn’t specifically “found” on 10,000 immigrants that she could call out as scary and dangerous.

I think this is what is really making her angry-- that she can’t pin this on “those people.”

4 Likes

Revenge for the Opium Wars.

One deadly drug

for another.

You mean the wars we had no role in? Those wars?

3 Likes

Following the First Opium War in the 1840s, the Western powers concluded a series of treaties with China in an effort to open its lucrative markets to Western trade. In the 1850s, the United States and the European powers grew increasingly dissatisfied with both the terms of their treaties with China and the Qing Government’s failure to adhere to them. The British forced the issue by attacking the Chinese port cities of Guangzhou and Tianjin in the Second Opium War. Under the most-favored-nation clause contained in the existing treaties, all of the foreign powers operating in China were permitted to seek the same concessions of China that Great Britain achieved by force. As a result, France, Russia, and the United States all signed treaties with China at Tianjin in quick succession in 1858.

so there were reasons to lump the US in with the British and the French…

3 Likes

I am also in recovery. Try some LGBTQ+ meetings. Fewer boomers, less bullshit, in my experience.

3 Likes

Best as I can figure they seem to be assuming that the amount seized is always a fixed percentage of the amount being smuggled, so more seized = more getting through. This doesn’t make even the tiniest lick of sense, but it would hardly be the first thing fervently believed by that crowd despite not making a lick of sense.

2 Likes

that’s certainly the logic used to justify a perpetual drug war, but when these things don’t make sense, sometimes you forget your lines.

2 Likes

If you look closely you can spot the racist in this picture.

1 Like

There’s simply no pleasing some IMAX projectors. tophat-shrug

Yup, thass a lot to project!

2 Likes

I used to work at the Kansas Cosmposhere and Space Center and we had an Omnimax screen. It was IMAX, but on a domed screen vs flat. It would really wrap around your peripheral vision.

The reels were behind glass so you could see the projector work. It was pretty impressive. (Also impressive a 20 year old could run it.)

3 Likes

totally.

as will ensuring people have adequate medical care when they need it so that they’re not self medicating and becoming addicted :confused:

( ditto for things like getting unhoused people safe places to live, since drugs can make living on the street feel easier, even when it makes getting off the street more difficult )

5 Likes

(sorry to veer OT) Science World BC in Vancouver has a huge Omnimax domed screen. The projection room is a marketing feature of the not-inexpensive shows. The huge 10kW stacks of Bryston and Yamaha Professional amps and the massive JBL speaker systems at various point behind the perforated metal domed screen is mind boggling.
I worked at Science World when the prototype Universal Studios Back to the Future ride was being developed. I even got to test ride it a few times.
Regarding the fentanyl epidemic, British Columbia has many hundreds of opioid related deaths every year. The problem is exacerbated by the lack of safe public housing and inability to provide sufficient mental health and addiction treatment for the huge number of people that need it. All levels of government recognize the need for resources but are having a hard time making all the legal changes and spinning up housing projects and treatment workers plus facilities in the midst of rampant inflation. Both large and small ‘C’ conservatives will try to roll back whatever is accomplished and in the works if they gain power and revert to the policing and enforcement approach if they gain power at any level of government.

4 Likes

Oh, one more note. There is a site that will direct you to local resources for free Narcan . And if you can’t find a local source, they will send you some.

I was directed to a Kansas project, and got a couple doses.

Note - one bad thing is that you can’t keep it in very hot or cold conditions, so unlike an IFAK for bleeding etc, you can’t just keep it in your car. But if you carry a purse or messenger bag or something like that, you can put it in there. I had been thinking of getting a cross body carry bag anyway…

3 Likes

After falling in love with them in Jamaica, I must recommend the exceptionally tasty, sometimes alien-looking

scotch bonnet. They are very hot, but add an unmistakable, exceptional flavor when sparingly used. Delicious, but potentially dangerous.

Bottles of sauce and jars of powder can be found via sellers both Jamaican and from foreign on ebay and amazomg.

Yes Rasta

6 Likes

We’re getting way off topic here, but…

I’m growing Scotch Bonnets in my backyard right now!

6 Likes