Magical History Tour

5 Likes
9 Likes

Oh no, see, that was only in the south. /s

7 Likes
5 Likes

Someone making a crazy claim about the Roman Empire and how she’s wrong… Lots of real historical information in their de-bunking…

7 Likes

[eta] since I can’t do 2 in a row…

7 Likes

This is an amazing discovery. I love it when science pushes historical studies onward. Yay, science-people.

11 Likes

One of the points she makes is that the people in the middle often get ignored in historical narratives in favor of the extreme good or bad experiences. This is exactly the point that Laurel Thatcher Ulrich made with her quote “well behaved women rarely make history”… in addition to the more common feminist intepretation we make, she is also encouraging people to examine “every day life” as she did in her book A Midwives’ Tale, which was based on the diary of a midwife in Colonial/Early Republic America on the MA/Maine frontier.

But this is a good reminder that history is not told in a neutral way - our perceptions shape the histories we want to tell.

8 Likes
10 Likes

“Liberators”

Yeah yeah yeah. I get it. Defeated an objectively evil empire. Still, soldiers in glass brothels…

8 Likes

"Sadly, we police had to set up sexual comfort stations for the occupation troops:

“Sadly”

“The strategy was, through the special work of experienced women, to create a breakwater to protect regular women and girls.”

“Regular”

JFC, keep it in your fucking pants. WTF is so hard about that?

10 Likes

Idk GIF

But we do know that rape is a weapon of war, and I’d assume of a weapon of occupation, too.

9 Likes

“Experienced women” = women who had been raped so often that they no longer fight back.

Great.

Sadly (here is a good use for the word), they’re not wrong that it probably did help keep the women and girls who hadn’t been raped as much from being raped at that point.

6 Likes
5 Likes

[ETA] Added here since I have the last 2 posts…

For International women’s day, a reading list about the history of women in the Soviet Union:

[ETA] Gonna keep on adding links here until someone else posts in this thread!

4 Likes

Maps and photos!

Speaking of the Soviet Union…

If you have not watched Chernobyl, do so… it’s a great series…

And… one more…

[ETA] EVen MoAR!!!

[ETA] MOARRRR!!!

8 Likes

After reading some of the inequality highlighted in Women’s History Month news so far (and lack of concern expressed about it), maybe we should pick a day to repeat this historic event in other countries:

10 Likes
12 Likes

A bit of Irish history for just past the feast day of St. Padraig.

5 Likes
7 Likes