Major advertisers are fleeing Twitter, says Washington Post

Sadly, I use a teleport cage to access my orbital command center, and a couple Cha’grrffth class shuttles modified for cargo use. (think Eagle One from Spaceballs, The Movie.) I’m not authorized to loan out any of the shuttles, either- something something advanced tech, Prime Directive, blah blah blah. :slight_smile:

On a side note; any recommendations for a Mastadon server to apply for an account on?

9 Likes

And this

No wonder he has an affinity for Trump.

17 Likes

I just logged back in after just a few days of logging out with the sole purpose of locking the account and there were more bot followers and spam messages accumulated in those few days than I usually see over several month’s time. Mastodon has been working fine for me the last few weeks, so no regrets.

15 Likes

I’ve been blocking everyone who posts a promoted tweet since the arrival of Space Karen. Big companies, small companies, charities, people, anyone. And I’m not alone.

So any company that is tracking their Twitter performance is seeing not-insignificant numbers of customers permanently slamming the doors in their face. Not something that gives them confidence in their ad spends.

10 Likes

I have been blocking every single advertiser that comes across my feed. Every. Single. One.

9 Likes

2a - include forwarding addresses (ex. A metaverse username) in your goodbye address and bio. There are tools out there that will scrape your follows/followers/lists for this information.

12 Likes

Like, the helium isotope?

7 Likes

This chucklehead seems to fail to realize that moderation isn’t for the “political/social activist groups”, it’s to make Twitter a place where the majority of people want to hang out and advertisers want to advertise on.

12 Likes

Yup!

Helium-3 (He-3), a rare isotope used in quantum computing, neutron research, border security and medical imaging.

Why were they advertising on Twitter, and how did I fit their profile? :man_shrugging:

10 Likes
11 Likes

I used the first lockdown/quarantine periods to really make some progress with one of my pet projects, lukewarm fusion.

15 Likes

Have you been building a fusion bomb in your basement again?

9 Likes

And the transition of the Republicans from a pro-business party using culture war bullshit as a tool to bring in and agitate the voters, to a culture war party that increasingly is pro-business only when the business does what they want, continues.

17 Likes

IBM, Disney, Bell, and Best Buy were still advertising when I logged in yesterday.

8 Likes

It’s the double-whammy mistake that all freeze peach edgelords and conservatives make:

1. They think they are the majority, thus any moderation of their beliefs must be an “activist” minority exerting undue power

2. They fail to grasp that basic policing of each others’ social behaviour is how humans have created nice societies since the beginning of time. Ogg won’t stop saying shitty things to everyone, so he’s asked to go stay in a different cave.

All communities require moderation. They always have and always will. In the transition to online life, we somehow lost that plot for a while. We’re finding it again, though, and these people are butthurt about the loss of their free megaphone.

28 Likes

I’ve no idea if this is true, but for what it’s worth:

27 Likes

Tesla is a public company; I wonder whether there are regulatory risks–or if the board might object–if Musk funnels money from Tesla to Twitter. Musk only owns about 20% of Tesla, so the board might have some real say. That could be embarrassing.

10 Likes

Yep. I used to manage a pretty large paintball forum on the internet. I think we had something like 20,000 members and that translated to 200-300 posts a day (IIRC, this has been awhile). We had to keep some topics off limits, and sequestered other topics to keep things running smoothly.

Unlike some of the other lager forums, we were seen as much more civilized and less chaotic with less tolerance of dumbassery. But several of our members were actual engineers (including the owner of the company who would pop in) or experienced air smiths, so we tended to have real information on gear that worked best, vs hype and pseudo science, as well as trouble shooting and customization info.

Even then we would have to stomp out trollies, people who just wanted to cause trouble, and - oh god - the time somethingawful.com made it so if you hotlinked to an image on their site you got a huge image of the tip of dick with cum dripping out of it. Son of a B that was a day. Thank god we didn’t get an influx of angry parents on that one.

14 Likes

That seems like all kinds of legit.

6 Likes

The ad experience has been interesting the last few days. Every fifth tweet is an ad, but most of the ads aren’t from the big name business. A few gambling sites, a few weird fashion sites, etc. (Nothing should suggest I’m into any of that stuff, so I might be doing something right data-wise.) But when there is a big name advertiser, like HBOMAX, the replies are turned off. If you don’t like the response you get for giving the platform money, maybe don’t do it.

10 Likes