Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I hate what YouTube does to vertical video, they call them shorts.

If you embed it it ends up like your post. When I click on the video it opens in YouTube and looks good.

I think there is some code the forum can add to embed them correctly but I don’t believe us posters can do anything. You could crop in video editing software but that’s a hassle and it can mess up the quality.

It does look good in the app and the desktop YouTube site.

2 Likes

Any suggestions on starting cosplay with a teen? They’re really good at art and I can fix stuff a bit. She wants Chainsaw Man and I watched two tutorials, one was made of cardboard and was obviously never going to work (they didn’t build on a helmet so the chainsaw would obvs fall off and they didn’t use plastic for the hinges which is dumb) and the second used foam and a bajillion parts and would take many months of days that I genuinely don’t have free.

10 Likes

Good question! Do you think you can convince her to start on something a little easier and work up to something complicated like that?

8 Likes

I just checked etsy, there are a couple foam kits but boy do they look complicated to assemble.

4 Likes

Interesting looking anime!
I’d probably go the cardboard route but begin with a base of a bike helmet. Or a helmet and some combo of moldable plastics, cardboard, and foam sheets. I’m not very familiar with the moldable plastics, but I know they are popular. The bike helmet as a base would work well because you have a comfortable fit with a chin strap to balance the weight sticking out front.

https://www.cosplaysupplies.com/tutorials.php?id=4

ETA: the teen needs to decide on what kind of style she wants. Hyper-realistic is going to be very difficult for a character like that, particularly for someone inexperienced. But I’ve seen a lot of cosplay done in a more paired-down style and I could see that working for this. Aiming for clean lines in layers to create the depth and detail could work well. Like how some paper art is made.

6 Likes

Finished my little table made of wine barrel end caps, a hoop, and several staves:

18 Likes

Pretty! Looks like some really nice grain on those legs!

3 Likes

Well she’s mostly been doing off the shelf with a little customisation so far and neither of us have any seamstressness at all so this is simple clothes with a thing to make and seemed like a reasonable step for us. Cutting and sewing etc. would be too much. Like this might be tricked out with some simple electrical stuff and I’m okay for that. She’d do all the tricky painting and stuff which is not my scene.

Outrageously so. It’s like the cardboard one I looked at was ridiculously tied to cardboard and made a stupid, complicated, and never gonna work, cardboard assembly for the jaws and the foam ones are the same for moar foams!

That was my take too! Why not work off a sturdy base and use cardboard for the engine body (easy to cut the vents etc.). I have a snowboard helmet I no longer use rather than a bike helmet (which have nice ventilation but the shape isn’t great) and it has some metal to keep a visor in place so I think I could use that for the hinge on the jaw. I’ll look at that moldable plastic as that looks easier to make curved panels with than cardboard or foam.

It’s a multi volume manga but I believe the anime is only one series and is on pause. Also in volumes 9 and 10 they killed lots of her favourite characters unfortunately.

6 Likes

16 Likes

That is gorgeous! Good work!

9 Likes

Reminds me of a friend of mine’s recent book and exhibition. It’s lovely.

9 Likes

After your post I had to Google his friend’s work. I found the Arts Center’s Facebook page and I saw some pictures of the exhibition. I was flattered as I was compared to him. But, as we usually say here: I still have to eat a lot of beans and rice to be and look like this.

8 Likes

Okay, that is an adorable saying. We say kids have to eat their spinach to get strong, or carrots for strong eyes, but I’ve never heard a food-related saying for anything other than physical traits.
Also, beans and rice. Yummmmm.

6 Likes

“Arroz com feijão” is the mainstay of brazilian food. It is present (or should be present) in every meal. But “Arroz com Feijão” has another meaning. It means the basic thing someone should do or something that is done in a regular basis. Like in our everyday job, we usually do the " beans with rice" everyday.

10 Likes

this is to make the entry into a “mud room.” the strip under the cubbies above will get big coat hooks across and we’ve ordered custom faces for the drawers. this is for the same house that we built the living room cabinet for upthread:

here’s how most of our stuff ends up looking after faces, paint, and hardware:

17 Likes

Aww, still really lovely, but I like it so much better with the wood faces. What was the wood for the drawer faces on those lower drawers on the entertainment center? Looks so familiar, but I’m having a hard time placing it, or I might be thinking of something totally different.

8 Likes

they’re solid poplar boards, and all the hardwood trim (the unpainted trim over the exposed edges of plywood, not the crown molding or base boards with the curvy profiles) on both is poplar.

@ClutchLinkey sorry, I edited my response after you liked it. poplar is cool, it has a bunch of green and purple tones in it somehow. not aware of any other wood that does that, certainly nothing else you can buy at your local big-box hardware store

9 Likes

Poplar, that was it! I knew I recognized those color variations.
Back when I did more furniture, we used ash a lot for drawer fronts, but I preferred working with poplar. Less stringy.

8 Likes

I traded some black walnut for a plum tree stump, and the wood is amazingly colorful. It’s got orange, purple, beige, red, and green in it… the colors fade rapidly after you cut it, but I was told that if you seal it quickly to prevent oxidizing the colors will stay. (This picture is from Wikipedia)

11 Likes

I’m digging a hole to pour a concrete pad as a stable entryway to a crawl space door. It’ll also help me put in some extra support for the skirt-wall, and route some runoff better. Then I’ll build a new door.

I came across what’s probably the original sewer pipe for the house. Late 19th century.

13 Likes