Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

So it wasn’t a wooden sewer line after all.

7 Likes

What’s interesting is that it heads off to somewhere in the back yard. So, there’s an old septic tank out there somewhere.

6 Likes

You can hope not… but yeah probably. I hope you find it before it collapses.

My oldest (long defunct) sewage lines apparently just dumped right into the stream. The drinking water stream. This was an industrial site, but still

5 Likes

New project for the previously mentioned plum wood…

3 Likes

I have an idea where it might be, actually. There’s a small hump in the back yard that I thought was either an old, filled-in outhouse hole, or an old filled-in well. Both were situated in a logical area for that. The drain pipe seems to point in that direction. I’ll do some testing next weekend with a testing-probe-thingy (I think that’s the term) an archaeologist-friend has for her work.

8 Likes

lots of framing. turning a garage into an apartment

upstairs bedroom gets a closet and knee-wall for a staircase

the floor was never completed so our patches all had to also be reinforced underneath, hence all the screws

but filling in the garage door is the piece de resistance

someone who knows how to work with vinyl siding is going to put another window where the lamp is

16 Likes

personal project: the size wastebasket I wanted used a foot pedal for a black lid, neither of which I wanted. the white lid that automatically reset itself was for a large kitchen bin. so I swapped lids and the guy at checkout didn’t notice. had to trim a little of the plastic hanging off the bin to straighten out the mating surface, traced the curve of the lid on scrap ply, measured the gap to the bin and retraced the line at that distance to get my cuts.

6 Likes

Doing embroidery squares for a collective quilting project.

22 Likes

I bought a globe!

the (ugly) base it came with had the machine-threaded armature just screwed into bare wood. it was already wobbly in the store so I knew I was buying a project

as it came:

my version:

I embedded a wing nut in JB Weld and filled in some empty space in the base with lead pellet gun pellets and more JB Weld. used coffee to stain it and polyurethane over.

18 Likes

Oooh, nice! I hope you’ll post pics of the quilt as it starts to come together.

5 Likes

I’ve been slowly working on an entrance to the crawl space. Last year I poured a sill and built the frame for the door. Now I’ve poured a pad which helps shore up the brick skirting.

An old ceramic drain, plus some some yard trash as a base.

Got the form set.

Poured. There are three massive piles of bricks in the yard, so some went in as a liner.

The pour and the old door.

The finished sill. Door to follow in a couple weeks.

12 Likes

On my property that’d heave enough to block the door from opening in the first winter. Our frost line is over 30 inches down. :frowning:

4 Likes

Heh. Yeah. We’re at six. The pour was to 8" or so. Given its proximity to the house, it should hold.

5 Likes

we made some barn doors for the garage apartment, had them painted , and hung them. they were VERY HEAVY.

20 Likes

So when the tax inspectors drive by, they see a garage, not a functional home?

13 Likes

And, the next brick project is complete: bordering one of the garden areas. All the other areas are a bit scraggly, so I didn’t pay too much attention to lining things up perfectly.

Trench dug, bricks at the ready:

Paver base laid, bricks going in, starting at the end of an older, already-existing run:

Mortar going in, bricks on top:

Full course laid:

Landscaping filled back in:

12 Likes

lol, probably. the guy we’re working for is super into making things as on-trend as possible so I just assumed this was the flavor of the month popular thing, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if you were right

7 Likes

I draped my tv in fabric so it blended into my apartment better. it took way longer than I expected.

6 Likes

I made this papercraft ass-head for a reading of A Midsummer Night’s Dream:

ETA: I was going for a more realistic color, but poster board at my local craft store is only available in white and a couple of patterns. So I went with this cloud pattern. I think it looks suitably dreamy.

The pattern I used is here.

21 Likes

I love the addition of the human eyes and mouth. Creepy and perfect

11 Likes