Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

No PCB? Madness!

4 Likes

I am able to convince myself of all manner of stupidity.
At this point, all the diodes and “rows” of wiring are done. The more onerous task of doing the “columns” is next. Then I need to wire it all to the Teensy2.0 and program that bad boy. Then I need to figure out the rest of the enclosure.
Then I (might) have a working keyboard. Maybe.

7 Likes

6 Likes

What’s your going rate for “cool aunt”? If I ever have kids, I may need to hire you as a surrogate.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Drawings made by the kidlets! Kid drawings are awesome.

7 Likes

Hey, just saw this & it made me think of your remodel. Maybe a hidden treasure for under the sink?

20 Likes

Pretty sure that’s a code violation in my neck of the woods.

6 Likes

I’m living under the same code as @nothingfuture, but that is cute!

4 Likes

What’s the code violation? The PVC pipe being painted?

Pretty sure indoor vents like the one shown are a no-no here.

7 Likes

Hopefully that’s just a decoration, and not a functional vent. Of course if there’s no whole-house trap (as is typical of newer buildings) you’ll get a little toxic poo gas (methane + hydrogen sulfide) pocketing in that stub, but on the other hand it’ll damp out water hammer from washing machine valves.

1 Like

Bingo. Hydrogen sulfide gas is serious stuff.

2 Likes

Soldering continues. Pain in the ass, this bit.

16 Likes

I have been trying to make a quilt and now I remember why I don’t quilt:

• Straight lines are hard
  • oh my god there’s so much fabric where does it all go
  • Sure, let’s sew several yards of fleece on an 85 degree day in a house with no air conditioning
  • I probably should not have made binding out of MORE fleece because my machine is choking on 4 layers of this stuff.
20 Likes

I totally feel your pain, about the straight lines and too-thick layers. Blergh.

Have you seen any Gee’s Bend quilts? Beautiful work, and straight lines are not a requirement. I find 'em super inspiring.

http://soulsgrowndeep.org/gees-bend-quiltmakers

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s easy to forget how we came to have quilting as a craft. The desire for perfect geometry and shape is modern, the desire for something warm to put over yourself when you sleep in the winter is ancient.

10 Likes

I made another Calvin & Hobbes wallet!

The inside pockets are different on this one.

And I made a license holder using the packing tape stuck to itself instead of using vinyl.

24 Likes
1 Like

So yesterday I found out that I had won a chair design competition… this was a surprise to me as I had only half heartedly submitted a design and hadn’t really expected to even place close to the top. Supposedly this means that some professional designers will now take my design and turn it into a fullscale chair that will be featured in a new building.

32 Likes