Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

sonically dense, i really liked the counterpoint and especially–even though it was overwhelming–the overtones when the cello ascends to the higher register with the cornet. i have no criticisms, but a few observations.

passages with major sevenths, minor seconds and the like pack enough punch, and those are the passages that need a slightly different registration. a livelier tempo would suit the piece better, since the flourishes you’ve added clearly show it isn’t a dirge. but both performers were excellent, and i really enjoyed the piece.

3 Likes

Thanks. I actually wrote that for Gedakt 8’, Rohrflöte 4’, Octava 2’ on the Oberwerk, which makes for a relatively soft, vocal-style registration. Mike’s organ is a Casavant, so something equivalent might be Stopped Diapason 8’, Gemshorn 4’, Octavino 2’ on the Swell.

I also wrote it about half again faster in tempo. I don’t mind a slowdown if it keeps the lines clear, as it more or less does here, but a lighter registration would probably be conducive to a livelier tempo.

4 Likes

heh, you’re testing my organ memory :smiley:

gedackt are great since they are compact, being stopped. Rohrflöte is an interesting one, i don’t really understand the sonic principles of a half stopped flute (even open bore wind instruments, depending on their geometry, can be effectively fully stopped with an open bell. the choice is generally because you want a half cycle standing wave or a quarter cycle wave). i’ve never run into an octavino 2’, but i assume from the name it’s a piccolo.

and now you’ve sent me down a rabbit hole.

http://www.organstops.org/FullIndex.html

5 Likes

Did your log also tell you the owls are not what they seem?

12 Likes

a-yo, unless you’re positive that log has been cut ~a year or more ago, get some rubber feet to elevate it off the hardwood (you may have already, just can’t see from your pic.) you need a gap for the moisture to evaporate into the air instead of collecting between the log and the hardwood floor. I lived with a guy who did this and when we moved out the finish on the hardwood floor was buckled and ruined with mold.

sorry if I’m stating the obvious and you did it already

13 Likes

17 Likes

is it Blammo brand or a knock off?

9 Likes

The paint job is yours, right? One of my neighbors has a big stump in their front yard. They’re waiting for the chipper service to take it away but if I had the skills and tools it’s so beautiful it should be made into something.

On the bright side if it’s chipped the mulch will be used for local park trails.

3 Likes

Here’s what I’ve been up to with my knitting time. I started the first one a week and a day ago. The most recent one (the gold one) I started yesterday afternoon. I’m a few rows in on its sibling.

15 Likes

I would like input on a prospective project. I’ve learned quite a lot in making my signet ring over this past year, progressing from silver clay, to investment casting, to lost wax casting, to the marriage of metals, to how incredibly tedious and difficult it is to set stones. I now want to try some geeky jewelry projects. But I find myself torn on my first project. Should my next project be a…

• Star Gate ring
  • Star Trek ring

0 voters

5 Likes

Leg warmers for your forearms?

5 Likes

:laughing: The name most people seem to go with is fingerless gloves or fingerless mittens

3 Likes

most people are wrong then.

Forearm Warmers. Or ForeWarmers when they get hocked on the late night infomercials.

4 Likes

16 Likes

Getting these guys done…

They will hopefully look as nice as these in a few days…

mostly trying to catch up on my backlog of things to paint… since these models are not really great for 40k anymore, the new ones are actually better looking and bigger but I can get them redone in yellow and be able to have more than one set of Space Hulk for playing with. (cause yeah I have 2 copies of the first version plus one each of the expansions, 1 copy of the second edition, and 1 copy of the 3rd which the pieces look nice enough to not be in a hurry to paint so they can wait)

7 Likes

Recorded a couple new songs, set up a Patreon page, and did some painting:

13 Likes

I love those! I wear them a lot… I have ones with owls and ones with celtic knotwork cable-knit into them… they keep the back of the hand warm, and keep your palms from contacting cold tools.

1 Like

Small but recent: a diy Field Notes notebook.
3.5" x 5.5"
ISO grid (5mm), alternating pages with red and blue dots.

6 Likes

I haven’t been home for over a month; supplies are limited so I made another plarn bag.

20 Likes

What’s that for?