Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

You have a deal, next time I’m down at the datacentre. :smiley:

12 Likes

Cool. I’d love to see where BoingBoing “lives”:. :slight_smile:
With a banana for scale, of course. :banana:

14 Likes

And another pussyhat:

18 Likes

How to glue anything:
http://www.thistothat.com/
You choose the material(s) you’re gluing from a drop-down, and it magically tells you what glue to use. It’s worked for me for more than a decade of making stuff out of junk.

7 Likes

New camera, experimenting with macro settings, using an improvised lightbox of a white dish pan and a sheet of white paper, to attempt to photograph stuff I made out of junk:

Diorama (originally made for Warhammer gaming) on 8.5x11" cardboard. Papier-mâché & found materials.

Small diorama (originally made for Warhammer gaming) on 3x6" cardboard. Papier-mâché & found materials.

11 Likes

It has become a tradition for me to make a stupid valentine card for my wife. Here’s the 2017 edition.

Usually it’s been based off of a show we’ve been watching recently on Netflix, but Walking Dead was the last one we caught up on and I didn’t feel like going there (end of season six, yikes). Previous years have featured Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

15 Likes

I am organizing this week, in addition to making stuff. Today, I dug out most of my axes, which were mostly stuck in corners or on shelves. I sharpened and polished them, refinished the wood and metal, and organized them on the wall over the bead blaster.

9 Likes

I am learning machine knitting, with the intent to hack a 30 year old machine to work as a 2 bit string printer. (if I can make the machine think a raspberry pi is a 30 year old external, battery powered, Tandy floppy drive, this is trivial.) I can now reliably make vast lengths of stockinette. Which I plan to flatten ( machine knit curls) and treat like fabric for a cardigan or pullover. But it’s also a worst case scenario device; I know it can be used to make socks and plain sweaters without any power (assuming yarn), and fast enough that my attention deficit doesn’t get surly.

I have never knitted at all.

17 Likes

Like AYAB, sorta thing?

ETA: Wait, that’s not secret code or nothing, LOL. I mean like AYAB Interface

4 Likes

I know what AYAB is, and Yes, that’s the eventual plan, after the existing capacitors blow. (AYAB will replace a blown brain; for now, It still has some brain function.) Until then, while I still have some primitive computational brain, it will take input through its vintage floppy drive port. There’s a semi commercial product that will work with a Win/Mac environment, but we don’t have any windows machines, the Mac machine is a wall-mounted beast in another room (textiles are dusty), and our portables are iOS or Pi based. (We either hack to submission, or don’t want to hack at all; the middle ground of doing maintenance to reach function is just irritating, because there’s limited hack for pleasure time, and limited use for function time, and way too much hack for function time.) So I want to try to get a Pi/Linux system doing what the win/Mac system does. And it keeps me from forgetting programming, because I spend most of my time with sql and xml.

8 Likes

Awesome. I was only reading about that the other day. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Best of luck! If all else fails, there’s a pile of knitters in this thread to get you started doin’ it oldskool with two pointy sticks! (Or one stick, if you have a long enough crochet hook.)

5 Likes

… Oh, it’s not for lack of trying that I do not knit. Textiles are my toybox. I sew at a professional level, do electrotex, weave, crochet. But I’m a leftie who grew up with exceedingly hardwired-righties (in more ways than one). Their attempts to teach failed pretty miserably. I tried to learn from YouTube, and a local teacher, and it’s just not in the cards. But learning from this machine (and my knowledge of textile production) is working fairly well. Seeing how the stitches are made actually makes sense for the first time.

8 Likes

I’m sculpting. I’m sculpting >100 year old walls flat and moldings smooth. I recently tried explaining to my teenage son, who appreciates math metaphors, that there’s 2 kinds of fixing jobs: Binary and asymptotic. When you fix a drain or a light, it’s either fixed or not. But when you flatten a crappy wall or a peeling paint drippy molding, you’re never going to get it FLAT, just closer to flat. The hardest part of the game is knowing when its time to move on.

13 Likes

On the other hand, if you know it’s never going to be flat anyway, why not sculpt some shapes into the plaster.

10 Likes

Might make it harder to rent? Taste varies you know.

http://www.artdejavu.net/dejavu/plog-content/thumbs/dejavu/dejavu/large/33-1-wilfredo-prieto.jpg

5 Likes

I ordered a flight suit to make my General Organa costume because I just don’t have the time to make a jumpsuit.

I don’t believe y’all dudes really need this much room in the crotch :laughing:

24 Likes

I was just lamenting elsewhere that the days when designers and tailors put a proper gusset in the crotch have passed us by. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You mean you can’t make a lucelle valentines day card?

Can you get wine on the pi?