Man concocts clever plan to defraud people of Halloween candy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/man-concocts-clever-plan-to-de.html

2 Likes

I hope that’s not what everybody’s been doing.

8 Likes

It is not fraud.

2 Likes

OK, this is “trick AND treat.”

8 Likes

The original video link should be used.

1 Like

I found it a funny video. But telling people his kid is deaf, that just feels wrong to me.

Especially the last part, I happen to know sign language too, and you have no idea how happy you can make a deaf kid by being a random person that is able to talk to them. It just feels wrong to bring such a bold faced lie into that. It’s such a sweet moment with this man crouched, using sign language, but on the other side is a asshole just-pranking-for-views.

I don’t know, I can’t exactly put my finger on why it’s bugs me, but I don’t like it.

9 Likes

Damn, that’s beyond shameless.

The last time I went trick or treating before I had my own kid, I was 26 and in the company of two 19 year-olds. We wore full costumes and took along an adorable pitbull puppy, also in full costume.

Though people knew we were obviously older, they liked the costumes, they loved the puppy, and they gave us tons of candy, regardless.

We didn’t have to “lie to kick it.”

11 Likes

You laugh now, but he’s selling the candy, reinvesting in the tech and bait boy 2.0 will be much more convincing. In 5 years, we’ll have swarms of candy bots, unleashed by the major candy cartels, collecting the candy they just sold to resell it for next year.

I went accompanying a kid dressed as the invisible man. Why no, he won’t speak or hold his own bag because that would ruin the costume. Some people thought it was clever, most just thought I was annoying.

Just like any other day.

9 Likes

Same here. Not cool. Ruined the fun of it for me.

5 Likes

exactly. but it is definitely not fraud.

Uh, am I the only one that would know right away it’s fake. Because it’s like not moving? Seriously I would’ve pushed that thing over and probably thrown it across the street

1 Like

First lady watches through window. Sees “dad” carry off “child”: "THAT KID’S DEAD!!"

6 Likes

Exactly. You dress up and play the part, you get candy. There’s no carding of trick-or-treaters at our place.

7 Likes

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. I applaud this man’s diabetes.

3 Likes

I had a neighbor once, who had two kids, maybe around 10-11 at the time. They came up once dressed like… I don’t know, they had baggy pants and reflective vests with work-looking boots. I asked, What are you kids, roadside Caltrans workers?!? Haha, I started laughing but it turned out they were supposed to be snowboarders.

To this day, I think it was damn funny, but at the same time, I wonder if I hurt the kids’ feelings.

There was another time I scared the living snot out of a bunch of 4-6 year olds. Boy, did those moms get pissed at me!! That was like 20 years ago. This season, earlier this month, our neighborhood got a plea on Nextdoor from someone to not make the Halloween decorations too scary for kids. What’s the point?, I reply in my head. I guess I suck at this. Or maybe I don’t, and that’s the problem.

I often forget that my best friend was partially raised by two(!) deaf aunts. Seeing him sign with random strangers is deeply touching.

1 Like
1 Like

Trick and treat!

1 Like

We made one that was supported on a pivot so it wobbled a bit. Rang doorbell and ran away so it looked like a little kid unaccompanied. Fooled a few folks.

Better hope Sam doesn’t find out…

4 Likes