Man followed by pig on a morning walk calls the cops, who assume he's drunk. But he's not

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/man-followed-by-pig-on-a-morni.html

5 Likes

But was the pig drunk?

17 Likes

Pigs can be really vicious and are known to kill people. Not usually pigs that are treated as pets, but pigs on farms do kill humans more often than most people might suspect.

Here’s an example from Oregon: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/02/oregon-farmer-eaten-by-pigs/

11 Likes

If you’re followed by a cop do you call the pigs?

There’s some ambiguity here.

18 Likes

Man, I hate pigs…

3 Likes

Just a harmless BLACK pig and he calls the police on it. sigh

8 Likes

A man calls the police because he was feeling boared?

15 Likes

I’ve been followed home by far worse.

2 Likes

I also came to point out that pigs can and do kill and eat people. I would take active steps to protect myself if I were being followed by a pig.

2 Likes

It bugs me that the police thought they could draw any conclusions at all (“the man must be drunk”) from the tiny bit of information they had. Isn’t the right conclusion just “let’s go check it out”? See also: Tamir Rice.

3 Likes

How big was it? That makes a difference. The pictured pig is really small so it’s odd he’d be so afraid of it. That being said I live in an area where there are feral hogs. A few years ago I was taking a friend from England on a walk in the woods when a huge feral hog spotted us and snorted loudly. I had to explain to my friend that this was a potentially dangerous thing and we needed to give that pig space and GTFO right away. So honestly, if the dispatchers didn’t know it was a mini there really shouldn’t have been any thought that the guy was drunk. Getting attacked by a feral hog is totally possible and completely dangerous.

4 Likes

The title tells the story so well that I was LOLing before I clicked through.

Eta
and the rabbit hole led me to this

4 Likes

One suspects that they would have taken it seriously if wild hogs were prevalent in that area.

2 Likes

8 Likes

That’ll do pig, that’ll do.

1 Like

Not all pigs…

1 Like

" but pigs on farms do kill humans more often than most people might suspect."

I am suddenly getting flashbacks to Deadwood and the work Mr. Wu did for Al Swearington.

2 Likes

A pig is a jolly companion,
Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt –
A pig is a pal, who’ll boost your morale,
Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they’ve blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you,
When they’ve turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover,
You’ll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You’ll never go wrong with a pig!
– Thomas Pynchon, “Gravity’s Rainbow”

3 Likes

Seeing a pig in northeast Ohio is probably slightly less common than seeing a lion. They both tend to be animals in captivity in this region. Drunks making ludicrous phone calls are every bit as common here as anywhere else.

3 Likes

Makes sense, drunks down here have a different vibe too. Less likely to call the police because a pig is around (real or imagined) and more likely to pull a “hold my beer” and end up calling EMS if they live!