🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 If it wasn't for Canada 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁

Happy Canada ya hosers!

14 Likes

Yes! Happy Canada Day to my neighbors to the North South!

(It’s true. I live in Detroit. :smile: )

11 Likes

Special shoutout to my peeps in South Detroit!

(Aka - Windsor, Ontario for the geographically challenged.)

Happy No Sleep weekend to my peeps in all the other quadrants of the Detroit Metro!

7 Likes

I am in a terrible mood, on day 3 of a migraine, AND its lady-times, so I give you this (it made me smile); the best boring city in the world. :wink:

5 Likes

Woah… six years for Forcillo. I did not see that coming.

3 Likes

Dammit, Canada! How dare you make your police accountable for extrajudicial executions!

5 Likes

Its the weirdest charge and conviction… he was found NOT guilty for the first three shots he fired… but he was found guilty for the six shots others that came afterwards.

5 Likes

Ultimately, he was charged, found guilty and sentenced. We can’t even get our killer cops charged.

7 Likes

To be fair… we usually don’t either… this is somewhat history making.

5 Likes

Having not read the details of the case, can I assume that’s because the last 6 shots were more of an execution-type “make sure he’s really dead so he can’t witness against me” issue? Like, the first three might be explainable as fear, surprise, or merely following training without thinking, but after that the guy knew what he was doing and was just trying to cover up his mistake?

6 Likes

There is video on youtube if you want to see it… (I don’t recommend it)
But yeah, the cell phone videos all show a pause in shooting. The kid went down after the first 3 shots, and was being tasered by another cop after being shot, and then… shot again six times. Its those six shots fired after the kid was down that are the basis of this conviction. Its interesting legally, he faced two sets of charges for the two sets of shots, murder and attempted murder, legal scholars are going to be using this for years I think.

4 Likes

Sounds like a smart move on the part of the prosecutor(s). That way, the jury doesn’t get bogged down on the first 3 shots maybe being excusable in the circumstances and thus come up with a “not guilty” for the whole thing.

5 Likes

Yeah, its a very interesting tactic… you could argue that the first three were fired in the line of duty, kid had a knife, etc etc, but the other six shots were attempted murder and not necessary.

If this sticks (obviously he is appealing) I bet we’ll see more charges like this.

3 Likes

#The horror, the horror…

8 Likes

Meanwhile, in Canada…

11 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Handbook for fighting climate-denialism:

[quote=“henry_minsky, post:23, topic:46794”]
Plus Canada will be entirely entombed in ice if we don’t do something now, and I like Canada. [emphasis added] [/quote]

If only that were your only mistake…

If it wasn’t for Canada, I wouldn’t be grinning from ear to ear upon first discovering a Brian Linehan interview. Dick Cavett re-incarnated as Alfred E. Neuman with a dash of Bob Ross :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It it wasn’t for Canada, we’d be winning the war on vermins:

3 Likes

The Free World still owes you guys a few rounds of beer for pitching in to fend off the airborne Nazi hordes in 1940

www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/539/Battle-of-Britain-The-Canadians.aspx

7 Likes

1/3 of Canada watched a concert this past Saturday by The Tragically Hip and no one outside of Canada knows who they are, and we’re pretty much ok with that.

:wink:

I didn’t watch it, but 4 of us listened to the Radio broadcast while at the cottage. And while I never particularly liked their brand of denim-rock, I was still moved to tears more than once. Oh, and the PM of Canada attended the concert in a Canadian Tuxedo. And that’s pretty cool.

(Also, the concert was broadcast commercial free and uninterrupted, complete with unbleeped F-bomb. Public broadcasters for the win.)

Edit to add: Thats Gord and the PM in a manly canuck embrace.

12 Likes