๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ If it wasn't for Canada ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ

You guys donโ€™t even know how true this.

(from here http://imgur.com/gallery/Myukq )

10 Likes

Winnipegโ€™s motto: โ€œWhere the industrial despair of the east meets the agricultural despair of the west!โ€

10 Likes

It it wasnโ€™t for Canada, where would they sell all of those ketchup flavo(u)red chips? You know, because bbq is too spicy?

7 Likes

Show up with a few trailer trucks at @IronEdithKiddโ€™s house?

6 Likes

You should try and teach her da Yooper accent, yah. Itโ€™s not dat far off, eh?

5 Likes

I grew up on the same longitude as da UP, so there is probably a good mix of that in there already.
Ifโ€™n I scroll due east, as the crow flies, I hit the Hoopโ€™n Holler Tavern โ€“ that sounds very Yooper.

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, Purolator would still stand for โ€œpure oil laterโ€.

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, fewer Americans would have their gun collections seized and melted down while trying to drive them up to Alaska.

4 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, Americans would have lower moose-viper awareness.

9 Likes

A couple years back while camping in Montana we made friends with our camp neighbours, had a couple drinks around their fire and talked about Canada vs. USA, city vs. rural living, (Missoula was too big a city for them, they lived in the country) it was very pleasant, and then we talked about guns. Because they kept making jokes at each other that involved shooting each other and we were getting obviously uneasy about the jokes, so to put us at ease told us not to worry because the gun was locked in the car.

And this exchange happened:
Why do you need a gun?
Because of bears.
But you said youโ€™d been camping in this exact spot for 20 years and have never seen a bear.
Thats right, never have!
So why do you need the gun?
Because of bears.
rather/rinse/repeat

They were also horrified when we told them about all those retirees getting arrested in Vancouver with their undeclared guns trying to drive to Alaska.

And that we canโ€™t shoot (or kill in general) a raccoon if it comes into our homes in Toronto.

#Canada

14 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, weโ€™d be able to defeat the raccoons before they get too powerful to stop.

13 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, movies based in American cities would have to be filmed in American cities.

Nice shot of the Vancouver waterfront there:

My home town of Winnipeg subbed for Chicago for three movies in one summer alone. (The most popular being the Richard Gere / Jennifer Lopez / Susan Sarandon film โ€œShall We Dance.โ€)

12 Likes

We just saw that on Friday. And the bit on the overpasses. Montreal. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some people seem to have the impression that this thread is a celebration of Canada.

That is a mistake.

This thread is a threnody for what might have been, were it not so.

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, I wouldnโ€™t have anything to confuse with a Russian Oligarch.

12 Likes

I always find the mountains of The Bronx quite compelling, and the street gangs possess a notable diversity.

12 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada we wouldnโ€™t have the best neighbor to the North ever.

9 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, our neighbor to the north would be Russia.

I do love me a bowl of borscht.

5 Likes

I expect it was a real WTF moment for people in Toronto when they saw Vancouver subbing for New York. TORONTO is supposed to be New York in film. Just like Winnipeggers are upset to see Toronto subbing as Chicago in Blues Brothers 2000, Crash, Mean Girls and of course โ€œChicago.โ€

4 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, Iโ€™d have learned less French at the supermarket reading the labels on everything at Sobeys.

4 Likes