Martin Shkreli buying domain names of people who write about him

Can somebody familiar with the concept of insurance costs explain to me why this “charging” doesn’t imply that those costs would be passed down to the consumer of insurance products?

@aldt440 I was wondering, do you see your project of informing people about the “real criminals” as being somehow mutually exclusive to criticising Shkreli? I see an opportunity here to radicalise you against all such behaviour, including Shkrelis, but you seem determined to cast him in a favourable light.

Surely your project of informing people about the real criminals would be bolstered if you could reframe the ‘Shkreli distraction’ to better point out the harm done by him and those real criminals?

For one, you wouldn’t be undermining your cogent appraisal of the criminal wrongdoing by the rest of the industry by appearing to fall over your own arguments in order to defend an immoral asshole.
For all the world, it appears you are using the very real problem of price hikes and other malpractice to support your defence of Shkreli, rather than, as I would imagine would be your intention, using arguments to bolster your criticism of the real criminals.

Isn’t it more productive for you to treat Shkreli with the same critical eye?

3 Likes

That article is about what Obamacare does not include - more specifically about how it includes nothing to address Rx pricing because of lobbying to get a vote of 60 in the senate and 219 in the house. The ACA should not have been divorced from Rx prices, but it was because there wasn’t support in congress thanks to PhARMA lobbying. That does not mean PhARMA is pro ACA, that means they worked to make sure they were free to continue to extort their customers.

You are saying that Obamacare increased drug prices because of some kind of PhARMA involvement:

What you have shown (and what no one here disagrees with) is that Obamacare has just let the “free market” reign on the issue.

What you have not shown is how PhARMA and Shkreli are not both assholes.

4 Likes

On the off chance you actually believe any of this and you’re not a paid shill, here goes:

Yes, that’s entirely logical and consistent. Because corporations always just eat those sorts of prices rises and never pass on costs to consumers in the form of higher prices of their own, right? It’s all just magic money that comes from their “deep pockets”.

Oh, I’m fully aware that they are ripping us off. The difference is they don’t trolley us on talkshows when they do it.

That’s as maybe, but he bought up exclusive manufacturing rights to a widely used treatment for AIDS and then gouged the hell out of it. A single treatment is not going to give significant “market share” to anyone in the pharmaceutical industry, but it definitely gave Shkreli a complete monopoly over this particular drug, which he then exploited. Shifting the goalposts like this is what makes you sound like an astroturfer desperately sticking to your brief, rather than someone who is willing to engage in discussion.

Because I, and many others here, think that you are being paid to spread FUD on behalf of Shkreli and that is inexcusable. If you’re not being paid to say what you are saying, you’re just a terrible, terrible human being. So which is it?

I come to Boingboing to talk about a variety of subjects and learn about things I wouldn’t have been exposed to otherwise. In this thread, I have been mocking you for being really bad at astroturfing, in the hope that you realise that you’re not convincing anyone.

You on the other hand, appear to have come here to try to convince us that hugely unpopular multimillionaire Martin Shkreli really isn’t that bad. Trust me, you are not going to persuade anyone that he is anything other than a collosal piece of shit. I don’t care if other people do the same thing; they’re arseholes too. It doesn’t make Shkreli any less of a horrendous pissbucket.

And defending Shkreli, who is one of many people who are responsible for the outrageous prices in the US healthcare industry, helps how exactly? At what point in the original article were the “failings” of Obama care even mentioned? You’re shifting goalposts to derail the discussion and deflect attention away from criticism of Shkreli, yet again.

Honestly, only someone who is getting paid to do so would stick around in the face of the response that you have received. Have you thought about finding a new career? You’re not very good at this one.

5 Likes

You monster.

3 Likes

Us?

???

4 Likes

The term you are looking for is not scapegoat. Scapegoat implies that no one else is at fault, and literally no one is saying that.

What you are trying to say is that Shkreli is a sacrificial lamb, a person as culpable as the rest of the group but is the one brought down in a public spectacle to take heat off of the others. Even then, Shkreli is not a victim but treated justifiably to cool people’s jets off other equally culpable people who also need attention.

Scapegoat implies that Shkreli was part of a large group increasing prices on a single drug and not one example of many different cases but where Shkreli doesn’t have the power and money to dig himself out.

3 Likes

I mean, that kind of behavior is just uncouth.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/aldt440/status/818274301975609345

Why did you join in on the harassment of Lauren Duca?

Are you that big of a Shkreli fanboi?

9 Likes

You realise that the set up to your comparison is something that is actually happening right? So, in order to (in your mind) highlight the absurdity of the claim that Shkreli pays for astroturfing you made a comparison to his other, documented, absurd behaviour? Thaaat’s not how that works.

Also, don’t I get a reply?

4 Likes
6 Likes

https://twitter.com/aldt440/status/693978528971227136

Annnd:

That was his second tweet.

In fact, out of 41 tweets in the past year you can count the ones not about Shkreli or defending him on one hand.

8 Likes

7 Likes

You know, regarding Martin… I bet it is.

3 Likes

No. If he broke laws, we should convict. When we convict, he should be made an example of because he’s:

1. Rich
  2. Vocally mocking of the people who need what he supplies
  3. A serial abuser of the law
7 Likes

Like I said, paid astro-turf.

He’s a shill for Shkeli or he’s a trolley fanboi.

5 Likes

Given what I have seen of the alt-right, they don’t need a paycheck to devote their free time to dummy twitter accounts.

5 Likes

Maybe we should ask him about ethics in game journalism?

5 Likes