Massive video illusion: crashing waves appear to be inside a building

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/18/massive-video-illusion-crashi.html

6 Likes

I could sit at a cafe across the street drinking coffee and stare at this for hours.

And by coffee, I mean beer.

27 Likes

super cool but would like to see a giant shark ramming the glass.

21 Likes

Love it. I want to see small office desks and chairs being thrown around in that water.

17 Likes

Great, another post that just makes me nostalgiac for how fun everyone’s desk was in the 90s…

10 Likes

It’s odd that not one of the people walking by looked up at it.

6 Likes

Call me old fashioned. But I liked it better when water was involved

4 Likes

I’d have gone with a flushing-toilet effect. Perhaps there’s a reason no one’s ever called me an artist…

8 Likes

Dope!

2 Likes

What you might actually see are birds ramming the glass from the other side.

6 Likes

Confused seagulls? :thinking:

5 Likes

Any bird really, but yes.

1 Like

these ideas become compatible if one imagines a giant turd shark … with long sharp peanut like teeth…

3 Likes

I didn’t watch it all. Are they at least going to have cracks showing on the glass? Where the sharks and office chairs hit it, of course.

1 Like

Pretty neat. I assume the full 3-D illusion only works if you’re viewing from that specific angle though.

3 Likes

I can’t help feeling for the people inside the building.

"Um, remember how overjoyed we were last week when head office told us that we deserved better than endlessly toiling in the basement, and gave us all offices with windows on the fifth floor… "

3 Likes

Or drink beer and watch a video installation of beer (and other stuff):

1 Like

Looks a little computer animated. Something just looks a bit off, not like real waves inside a giant plastic container. But then again the whole city scene might be computer generated for all I can tell.

2 Likes

That was my thought. Not that it isn’t neat, but it’s basically designed to look good in videos. Which I suppose is how most people will see it. But it makes me itch when art interventions openly favor their instagram presence over the physical space they actually occupy. Say what you will about Anish Kapoor’s bean or the Berlin memorial, at least they offer more in person than in all the photos.

5 Likes

One building like this is cool, but imagine the dystopian future where all buildings have displays trying to outdo each other to catch our attention. Then we’re in Blade Runner territory.

2 Likes