Matt Gaetz's letter complaining that Kevin McCarthy has taken residence in the Speaker's office

Originally published at: Matt Gaetz's letter complaining that Kevin McCarthy has taken residence in the Speaker's office | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I mean, he’s got a point. Until the new Speaker is initiated, the old rules and so forth are in place. Time to put the metal detector back.

40 Likes

That is not uncommon, besides Gaetz is a child molester and no one cares what he says.

17 Likes

The old rules are suspended until new rules are put in place.

6 Likes

Man, when this scumbag is making a good point…

13 Likes

“After three undeciding (indecisive? Non decisive?) votes, no member may lay claim to this office.”

I’m not a member so maybe I could lay claim to it and sleep in prime DC real estate. Cool.

12 Likes

Ah, OK, thanks. So, bring back the metal detectors?

11 Likes

Perhaps two years ago was the time for Gaetz to complain about people occupying Capitol offices to which they were not entitled.

50 Likes

Stephen Amell Wine GIF by nockingpoint

12 Likes

No I think they got the majority all aligned on that one.

1 Like

right? why is he not in prison right now? i don’t understand that part at all

12 Likes

It’s extremely uncommon (ETA: likely unprecedented) to occupy the Speaker’s office before one has locked up the votes to secure the position.

9 Likes

I just hope there’s footage of McCarthy moving his belongings out of the office at some point, assuming he doesn’t eventually get in.

20 Likes

ooh! with a tuba player and womp womp trombone!

13 Likes

There is no such thing until there is a speaker. As evidenced by McCarthy’s inability to force a recess so that he can consolidate his votes.

6 Likes

I am not an Office of the Speaker of the House historian, but I haven’t heard of it happening previously. The eviction will also probably be a first if it is not a slink away in the middle of the night.

7 Likes

Some of the neighbors, like Gatez, are extra awful.

8 Likes

It would be even more hilarious if it turned out he had to move in to a worse office than the one he previously occupied because some freshman congressperson called dibs after he moved out all his stuff.

25 Likes

This is the way.

10 Likes

But he didn’t mention the metal detectors being removed without proper authorization?

How odd.

7 Likes