Meat Loaf dead at 74

So many 1980s memories of being in Cleveland dive bars and hearing the whole bar sing along whenever the DJ/jukebox played “Paradise By the Dashboard Light”.

10 Likes

Beat me to it. I thought he was awesome in that movie.

3 Likes

I was just watching something recently where they went over how he ran out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show when he first saw what Tim Curry was wearing.
Anyway, if he died from Covid and was not vaccinated…even more tragic than it is already. But yet even more tragic is that there are lots and lots of instances of that going on.

4 Likes

In May, he posted a clip of Eric Clapton’s anti-lockdown song “Stand and Deliver,” and, in what appears to be one of his last interviews, Meat Loaf appeared to be losing patience with pandemic measures.

Speaking to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August last year, he told the interviewer “I hug people in the middle of COVID,” and said: “I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics. And right now they’re stopping because of politics.”

The singer went on to complain about being asked to wear a mask on a plane, stating that he didn’t believe paper masks were as good at N95s at stopping the coronavirus from spreading. “We had to go on the airplane with the paper masks and then on the way back, we got a Nazi: ‘Get your mask on now!’ They’re power-mad now,” he told the paper.

After the interviewer replied “Oh, God. We’re being controlled by everybody,” the singer responded ominously: “Yeah, I know. But not me. If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled.”

12 Likes

Gonna watch Roadie again tonight.
Everything works if you let it.

3 Likes

His name was Robert Paulson.

2 Likes

Ironically:

12 Likes

Right wing, climate change denying, anti-mask, anti-vaccine mandate, obese elderly person dies of something during a pandemic that the family won’t acknowledge?

20 Likes

It made me sad knowing his stance on covid but his life long dedication to his craft and his genuine appreciation for his fans made it a bit easier to ignore.

I was also aware of his recent politics but I ignored it because he could belt out stuff like this.

The last video, Modern Girl, that’s his daughter Pearl on back up. Did I mention I was a huge fan.

5 Likes

Sorry, one more.

The title seems appropriate.

3 Likes

What horrible reporting by TMZ, outspoken how?

1 Like

Meat Loaf’s cameo in Scavenger Hunt:

3 Likes

These days, I start feeling thankful for artist shutting the fuck up about things other than their work, an even that isn’t a safe bet.

I used to think it would be a good idea if they lend their voice to a just cause.
But of course, even some who did that in some cases I really found worthwhile are currently endangering people’s lives. And are thinking they are lending their voice to a just cause.

Bottom line: if you do pull a Godwin, you have already lost the argument in nearly every case I came across in my lifetime.

5 Likes

That’s a hard needle to thread at times. I mean I’m not going to stop enjoying Michael Jackson’s work, for example. I’m also not going to throw out everything Phil Spector ever touched. And I absolutely LOVE (most) everything Lovecraftian even though he was obviously a blatant racist, even judged by the standard of his day. People still adore OJ’s abilities in football - even if they might not adore the man so much these days. Robert Reich just made an incredibly stupid and misogynist tweet - doesn’t mean I have to reject all his economic analysis. Everyone has to make their choices. I think it’s rather immature to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but that’s me. Much of it seems related to the “tu quoque” logical fallacy as far as a lack of critical thinking. On the other hand, I can see how people may not want to reward people economically (if they are still living) for such behaviors and that’s maybe the distinction.

Luckily, I’m not all that much of a fan of sports, so the agonizing over “the Juice” was never a thing I had to wrestle with either way, and while I’ve seen RHPS quite a few times, I’m not much of a fan of Meat Loaf (or Clapton, for that matter), so…if Meat Loaf went rather MAGA later in life…shrug.

6 Likes

Great, later today or tomorrow, someone will edit together images of dead anti-vaxxers to a Meatloaf song. At first glance it’s probably going to be impossible to tell if it’s mocking anti-vaxxers or martyring them.

3 Likes

One of my earliest memories of getting my very own 45 record player and damn near wearing out the Bat out of Hell single. (This was on the B side…)

4 Likes

I loved Meatloaf the singer, liked Meatloaf the actor, idolize meatloaf the dish, and am not surprised at all by the sad politics of Meatloaf the man. The various bats out of their respective hells will be on rotation in my office today.

11 Likes

Translation: I’ve been catered to my entire life because of my wealth and fame, and don’t like being treated like a little person.

The same, unfortunate reaction of the privileged to even the most low stakes response to public good.

11 Likes

no mention or links to Paradise by the Dashboard Light?

3 Likes

Something I discovered not long ago is that he appeared in a Blondie video “Ring of Fire” (1980):

5 Likes