Melania Trump suit from 'Gawker-killer' lawyer claims harm to 'once-in-a-lifetime opportunity' to make millions

Is that a deliberate Discworld reference?

2 Likes

The reason it still lingers is because of its editorial policies. The past is the same country and the Daily Mail does the same things it did then.

5 Likes

Indeed; their headlines remain the same all these decades later. Sad.

1 Like

It’s OK; we can stand up for freedom of the press when someone actually sues an organisation that reports the news and bothers to concern itself with facts.

Gawker and The Daily Mail? Maybe if they had some editorial standards, none of this would be a problem.

1 Like

I thought it’s nickname is because it’s constant pandering to the british WW2 fetish and daily depiction of german, and nowadays EU, politicians as Nazis.

2 Likes

As far as I know First Lady is not an official government position.

On paper it’s also a somewhat backward pre-feminist/women’s rights “job”:
Job description: wife of husband

3 Likes

No kidding. Trump, Bannon, Brietbart et al…would be all over that

1 Like

They said everything else but while she was in the office.

No, that’s the Sun and the Express.

The WW2 fetish is because it’s been about the only time in the last few couple of hundred years that Britain has been on the right side - and I include WW1, the unnecessary war, in that.

6 Likes

There was that whole ‘being owned by an actual nazi’ thing as well. I don’t doubt Rothermere the Younger feels the same way.

2 Likes

My main problem with this is that her name has too many syllables to easily wedge into a parody of “Roxanne” by The Police…

It may be a little retro, but right now the White House is closed to the public because there is no one filling the duties that a First Lady normally does. If she chooses not to live with Donald, I heartily applaud her. However, the White House should be open to the public; someone needs to do the work a First Lady normally does.

4 Likes

I hope 1812 is one of those “right side” wars you’re talking about.

I like not being American.

2 Likes

Dude, are you trying to get me riled up!? You can’t bring 1812 up!

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=166

9 Likes
1 Like

I should have said “couple of hundred years.” My start date was in fact 1815.

2 Likes

That’s an awfully convenient start date.

5 Likes

The Patriot War was 1836 and involved, yet another Canadian invasion. (like, enough guys, we’re not joining you!)

5 Likes

If Napoleon hadn’t started handing all the countries he took over to his relatives, I’d have had second thoughts about that too. He started well…until he came up against General Moroz, who was still around to save Russia in 1941.

2 Likes