Michael Cohen checks into one of "America's 10 Cushiest Prisons"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/06/michael-cohen-checks-into-one.html

3 Likes

Serving time with “The Situation.”
This closely resembles my idea of hell.

13 Likes

The jail can’t be that cushy…

No one is surprised to learn that the “tough guy” is thriving in the new environment. His friend, Snooki , previously told E! News that Mike is “having the time of his life.”

She joked, “It’s like his in a senior home, he’s playing Bingo, he’s helping people recover in jail.”

Oh, it looks like summer camp complete with prisoners looking like they wear camp counselor uniforms.

10 Likes

Michael Cohen is reporting to prison today to serve a three-year sentence for lying to Congress at the explicit direction of donald trump

there - fixed that for you

23 Likes

The outrage here isn’t that Cohen and 115 or so American prisoners have access to these humane conditions - it’s that all the others don’t.

57 Likes

Somehow I’ll bet the racial demographics at this prison aren’t the same as at your typical American prison.

31 Likes

So - it’s basically like what all of our prisons should be?

34 Likes

And Billy McFarland of Fyre Festival infamy.

6 Likes

Oh, cool, my mom lives right near that prison!

It’s in a nice area. Forest covered “mountains*,” rivers, wetlands, etc.

I never knew it was a country club sort of place.

*Mountain in the east coast “kind of a tall hill” sense of the word.

5 Likes

This.

It’s easy to turn a human being into an animal and have him/her behave correspondingly. It’s a lot harder to turn that animal back into a human being. The first step to the re-transformation should start with humane conditions, to remind each person that he/she has value beyond their ability to meet their survival needs, and to provide them the tools with which they can build a life once they complete their incarceration.

Unfortunately, the inmates in in the “cushy” prisons like these are likely to view themselves as above the law, and view their “imprisonment” as a punishment only for getting caught, and never for doing the enormous harm that they did.to all of us.

25 Likes

So how is it decided who gets the cushy prisons? Is it judges or the prison service? Are there published regulations or guidelines?

4 Likes

Well thank god he didn’t enroll his children in the wrong school district or he’d have done real time:

https://www.afro.com/commentary-the-black-women-jailed-for-stealing-an-education/

14 Likes

One wonders what the penal system and recidivism would look like if all prisons in the US were this civilized. (Yes, yes, I know “civilized prison” is an oxymoron. You know what I mean. :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Depends on the crime. Nonviolent white collar crimes with light sentences like Cohen’s usually go to the cushier places.

6 Likes

Have fun Mike, and don’t worry about the tab, the US taxpayers are picking that up.

10 Likes

Sounds like a great networking meet-up camp.

11 Likes

Melanin content and size of your bank account.

6 Likes

exactly this. And in Cohen’s case…it’s apt IMO.

It constantly amazes me that Trump and other Republicans try to discredit Cohen as a “convicted liar,” presumably counting on the fact that people don’t know for which lie he was convicted… I mean, sure, yeah, listen to Trump, not the guy who was caught in the lie of, “Donald Trump is telling the truth.”

9 Likes

And there it is. The honest truth.

1 Like