Michael Dorn is the most prolific Star Trek actor of all time

The key of course is that he jumped from Next Gen to DS9.

I enjoyed watching his character grow. The first season of Next Gen he was kind of one dimensional.

7 Likes

I thought that was what we were talking about, though (just his ST work…).

So the question is do we count her as the voice of the computer, or not… if so, she’s in all the series and the TNG films up to Discovery. I don’t think she made any appearances in the TOS films, but was in much of TOS as Nurse Chapel of course.

IMDB seems to count her voice over as the computer as acting?

17 Likes

She had cameos as Christine Chapel in both Star Trek: the Motion Picture and Star Trek IV: the Voyage Home as well as being a recurring character in Star Trek: the Animated Series. By the time the movies took place she was Doctor Chapel.

12 Likes

Ah! Thanks! I knew she was in the animated series…

So yeah…

10 Likes

Once again overlooked by the academy…

6 Likes

Did anybody say, Worf memes?

…and a lovely sketch by tumblr’s StarTrekmakesmehappy (as far as I can tell), for the season:

Michael Dorn may have the most episodes as one character, but Jeffrey Combs holds the record for the most characters (eight) across the Trek franchise, including the various Weyouns on Deep Space 9 and the Andorian Shran on Enterprise.

21 Likes

It certainly is (and of course she is in TOS and TNG live action as well) but I’m not sure the acting could be considered performing in each episode. She recorded most, if not all, of them in blocks (I read an interview with her about the process) and I’m pretty sure there are many episodes which are just all stock, nothing recorded for that episode.

Maybe that’s a distinction too fine? I know some people that do voice acting (for ads) which is handy, but some of the time it’s just your old clips and you get residuals, some of the time you get to record new stuff on top “try our…”. Like I used to know the talking clock at one stage (she’s pretty cool!) but you couldn’t really argue she was acting every day…

5 Likes

They do live to screw over the voice actors though.

“I started out as Roadrunner. Meep!”
“You mean meep meep?”
“Nah, they only paid me to say it once. Then they doubled it up on the soundtrack. Cheap bastards.”

19 Likes

“Is today a good day to die? That is the question.”

11 Likes

I guess that’s what I’m asking? If face time as a single character is the metric, then it seems Dorn wins… although didn’t he show up as a different Klingon in one of the TOS movies? He was Col. Worf in The Undiscovered Country, so an ancestor of Lt. Worf, presumably…

Also… wait… Worf made an appearance on WEBSTER? WTF?

8 Likes

It’s a good to die!
Though not as good as other days
A good day to die
But if there’s one a little ways away
Well then, hey—we can reschedule
It’s more than ok

7 Likes

That isn’t really my caveat. If she’s acting in each episode that’s good for me. It’s just that some of the episodes are surely pure stock, possibly from previous series, repeated so she may not have recorded anything specifically for that show.
It’s still a credit though AFAIK which has to be the bottom line surely?, so at very least Michael Dorn doesn’t get the title uncontested.

7 Likes

She was my first thought too.

Maybe the computer voice counts as “scenery” since the computer is part of the ship.

Or maybe if you’re not actually visible on screen then it’s not “acting.”

They should just re-word it to "Worf is the most prolific Star Trek character of all time.

[ETA: or maybe it’s just flat out wrong.]

2 Likes

EllS
2a16d914f67ae2f4d66cc91ff9932e9d

worf-sad-sigh

giphy

worf liar

tumblr_p16urk2qpZ1vaqoiqo1_400

worf-smiles-hat|nullxnull

closer-flesh-wound-invincible-michael-dorn-monty-python-and-the-holy-star-trek-tng-worf-5694573568

worf-facepalm

ezgif.com-gif-maker (90)

gEnLTFS

1d7bh7

tenor (5)

18 Likes

I’d watch that.

3 Likes

Yeah, but do you remember him on CHiPS?
dornchips

11 Likes

In the first season of TNG everyone was pretty one-dimensional. Picard was commanding and thoughtful. Riker was suave and brave. Wesley was smart and annoying. Worf was aggressive and honorable. Data was logical and unemotional. etc.

9 Likes

That is true.

As I remember it though (I should go check the shows) they didn’t give Worf much in terms of lines, and he wasn’t the focus of any episodes; it seemed like the writers didn’t know what to do with him at first.

2 Likes

Thank you for that summary, Data.

3 Likes

Surely those are two dimensions :wink:

6 Likes