Michigan young Republicans apologize for Hitler/Holocaust-themed Valentine

If not, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

8 Likes

Sounds like a good start.

Even though I still think you’re being dismissive of the likely effects of this iteration of antisemitism, I appreciate your thoughtful response.

10 Likes

I appreciate your comments as well, and understand that others feel this more strongly than I do. I swear I’m not trying to dismiss this as unimportant or inoffensive.

7 Likes

At what point do we stop calling these people “Republicans?”

And how ignorant do you have to be to downplay the Holocaust by a factor 1000?

9 Likes

“Well, it’s true that as with all groups, some Jews died during the war, but blah blah blahblahblah

5 Likes
11 Likes

I do realize that and probably should’ve made it clearer that I was referring to racist dickheads and definitely not @Brainspore. Mea culpa.

7 Likes

Then who was she and why was she there? Genuinely curious.

5 Likes

Somebody sure is CONCERNED about this.

Uh huh.

Sigh.

12 Likes

Please don’t selectively quote me to make it look like I’m saying things I’m not.

I’m just urging consideration before bringing the thunder and fury. If you read all my comments, you’d see that and the fact that I’m not defending the original valentine’s card.

Do you have any reason to not take me at my word? I don’t disagree with the sentiment on display in these comments, just the degree. Again, don’t paint me as something I’m not because you disagree with me.

Again, read the rest of that sentence. I brought up BLM as an example of a large group getting unfairly maligned for the actions of a few, just from the opposite sides to this case.

A lot of this doesn’t matter anyway since apparently it was a non-student who made the card, then left town altogether. I’m just writing this response because I don’t like the accusations you’re implying.

EDIT: Sorry, strike that non-student or college republican stuff. I haven’t kept up with all aspects of this.

2 Likes

That’s what I saw, but that doesn’t seem to tally with this:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/neo-nazis-attack-boing-boing-publisher/94723/259

11 Likes

Ah, ok, scratch that part of my comment. Made an edit.

Which doesn’t tally with this, from upthread:

Looks more legit so far than an unsourced bbs comment.

2 Likes

Daneel was the person who posted that upthread… This is all very confusing.

Huh.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round

4 Likes

Yeah, I posted that. I am unsure. And yes, the other thing was just a comment, although there does seem to be a Courtney Lamparski who is a CMU Republican and who is hiding their social media. Could be different people, could be someone setting someone else up? *shrugs*

7 Likes

I’d treat that post with caution; there’s the possibility of an attempt to divert attention onto an innocent bystander. New account, young female target, no clear evidence, just a few easily-faked social media hints.

Could be legit, but might not be.

4 Likes

Sounds like a student visiting from another college

I’m the “Newb” who posted the information, I would not have if I would have known that it was frowned upon here on BB. I’m a long-time reader here but just decided to make an account because I am a Michigan resident and it angered me to see the blatant anti-Semitic display here at a state college. I’m a lifelong liberal, marched against the Viet Nam War, Bush 1&2, and now Trump. I was very active on dailykos under Unit Zero until it got toxic awhile back. Mostly I’m trying to stay afloat after surviving the big CA, and hoping that the ACA doesn’t disappear. Take what I found as what you will, as to my credentials on that front, look up Unit 24 of S.P.U.T.U.M. and my stint as an anti-Spam activist.

2 Likes

I share that assumption, and I believe you are sincere, but those who join groups like the Young Republicans in today’s climate are already self-selected as being on the not-good end of the spectrum.

I disagree. The card and its creator deserve all the condemnation we can muster. The title of the thread points out that the Young Republicans apologized, but without the outcry would they have been inspired to do that, or even realized that there was anything wrong?

7 Likes