Mike Pence declares stripping women of their rights “the calling of our time”

They really don’t deserve to be called pro birth, people into healthy births would support free comprehensive prenatal care, employer support for pregnant mothers, generous maternity leave before birth, less pollution, SNAP programs, etc. Women in the US likely have paid more for just the ambulance ride to a hospital than women in other countries pay for their entire birthing experience.

15 Likes

They are most certainly not… @VeronicaConnor nails it when she says they are:

They look to an idealized past where women “knew their place” in being subject to the men in their lives in all things. Especially reproduction… the reality is much more complicated than that, but they believe in the fallen world theory - that getting off the “proper path” of a white supremacist world has upset the order that “god ordained” has led to a world that is out of sync with “god’s will”…

I will also say that their erosion of health care in this country (or denying so many people access to good health care) is not a mistake either, but it’s designed to ensure “god’s will” with regards to women - if they die in childbirth, that’s just “god’s will” and is okay, if a little sad. After all, in their ideal world, young, nubile women are plentiful when people can’t access birth control. They want to marry off women as young as they can, keep them pregnant as they used to be, and then ensure that they are under the control of men… Really, the handmaid’s tale is only a bit hyperbolic on their world view…

Marc Maron Rage GIF by IFC

28 Likes

After all, it was God that sent the rapist, right?

10 Likes

that connects to their racism as well because they want to ensure that only the “right people” have healthcare. and for them, the right people are white and wealthy.

16 Likes

Congratulations to Mike Pence for an excellent job doing Satan’s work.

8 Likes

Band Name!!

But I don’t want to listen to them, they’re awful.

15 Likes

The Highly Toxic Milquetoast. He’s an anachronism.

14 Likes

It’s spelled “asshole.” :+1:

13 Likes
15 Likes

I’m aware of that, but they do not see history via facts, but through their own ideology. They believe that the country since the end of segregation and since the rise of second wave feminism has moved away from “god” (or their twisted version of god), and that America does not have “god’s favor” and that we need to go back to a past that never actually existed… :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

I know that they don’t care about the real history of abortion and I didn’t mean to suggest that they did, only that this is the reality of the era whose mythologised version is their template for society.

6 Likes

Found an LP of theirs in a charity shop a while back.
6 tracks on each side, all with different titles.

But each one of them the same fucking tune.

Anyway, didn’t buy it.

5 Likes

And you can’t even dance to it, or they’ll burn you at the stake for having non-procreational fun activities involving the pelvis.

4 Likes

Which flag would that be?

7 Likes

:point_down:

3 Likes

Xtian indoctrination is a big part of it. Authoritarian leanings controls for much of the rest. The remainder is, as @Mindysan33 notes, racism.

More on topic: Mike Pence can fuck right off a short pier and keep on fucking off until he fucks right off into the Mid-Atlantic rift.

12 Likes

Also: we’re never going to war again or send black-ops assassination teams! Employers have to get to a zero-fatal accident safety record! But women can still die of a septic miscarriage, but that’s okay, chattel marriage is coming back!

“PENCE: The cause of restoring the sanctity of life to the center of American law is the calling of our time.”

4 Likes

You want to spoiler-blur that flag, buddy?

4 Likes

Spoken like a christofascist.

#NeverVoteRepublican #TaxTheRich #TaxTheChurches

4 Likes

Pence always makes me think of the theocratic cowardly president from “Escape From L.A.”, played extra-slimily by Cliff Robertson.

Wouldn’t surprise me one milligram to learn Pence thought of that character as his role model.

3 Likes