Mike Pence doesn't believe in the separation of Church and State

Given the popularity of Pro$perity Chri$tianity, I usually try to get this message across by saying, “Do you want your churches to be taxed? That’s a great way to wind up with all the churches being taxed!” They tend to reconsider when they believe more of their money could wind up under government control. :woman_shrugging:t4:

22 Likes

True… there is quite a bit of cross over between the prosperity doctrine and the dominonists.

19 Likes

Our greatest natural resource is the vast variety of people who seek to be here and contribute. And that includes them all, not just the Christo-fascists he represents.

4 Likes

Yup. I’m reminded of Matthew 22:17-21 from the King James Bible:

Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.

And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar’s. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.

It’s not like they really need church buildings in which to worship anyway. In Matthew 6:5-6 Jesus says:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

17 Likes

*Klannibalism

21 Likes

Mike Pence is Catholic. If there is no separation between church and state - it isn’t his religion in charge. The founders weren’t Catholics. Only 3 were Catholics.

If he’s right - we’re a Deist country and the official beliefs are Deist.

Our government doesn’t believe in revelation, believes in reason and thinks Christianity is a fable.

19 Likes

And that one Quaker!

This twit would need to have Deism explained to him like he’s in Kindergarten.

17 Likes

Yes and no. He was raised Catholic but converted to Born-Again Christianity in college around the same time his politics started taking a hard right turn (much to the disappointment of his mother,* apparently).

*ETA: I mean his actual mother, not the woman he has sex with but addresses as “Mother.”

25 Likes

Either way - his religion is out in government. Sorry sucker!

7 Likes

allegedly

15 Likes

The most consistent thing the Bible says regarding government in both testaments is that Christians are not to be concerned whatsoever with the workings of government and other earthly pursuits. It repeatedly hammers this point:

“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” -Ephesians 6:12

“There is an evil I have seen under the sun, the sort of error that arises from a ruler: Fools are put in many high positions, while the rich occupy the low ones. I have seen slaves on horseback, while princes go on foot like slaves.” -Ecclesiastes 8:5-7 (plus, like all of Ecclesiastes)

“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.“ -Romans 13:1

“Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.” -Acts 5:29 (abbreviated)

“But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” -Matthew 20:25-28

Of course a lot of that is batshit crazy to me, but there are other sections of the good book dealing with heathens like me. :wink:

9 Likes

It should be immediately, absolutely disqualifying for a member of Congress (or the Senate, or Parliament, or Diet, or what-have-you) to offer a belief like this that directly contradicts the Constitution.

Like, fired today, no severance, we’ll pack up your photo of Mother in a cardboard box and bring it out to your car.

8 Likes

Erm… can you explain Deism to me? I think it is something like Gnosticism.

2 Likes

I guessed this long ago.

3 Likes

It’s not. Deism is belief in a prime mover who set up the universe and now is letting it run.

16 Likes

Thank you for a wonderfully succinct explanation.

13 Likes

I used to have a neighbor (whom I really liked) and she would try to trap me with the “freedom OF religion does not mean freedom from religion.”
“So, as long as I believe in something, I’m okay?”
“Um. Yes.”
“Buddhism then.”
“No, that’s a belief system, not really a true religion.”
“Satanism.”
“NO! That’s a wrong belief and not a religion.”
“Animism.”
“NO! There’s no central god!”
And so on.
It had to be Christianity of some form.
She was really intelligent otherwise…

16 Likes

One of these days God is going to slap His forehead and say “oh shit, did I just leave that thing on?”

26 Likes

Even a cursory glance at the history of christianity will show you that hate has always been the one of its most fundamental aspects. I believe that is the fundament the fundies take their name from.

6 Likes

I always find it extra ironic when Baptists are would-be theocrats, given the history of anti-Baptist persecution meant the only reason the churches flourished in the US is because of that church-state separation. The existing majority religions didn’t get to use state power to squash them, as they had in other countries…

5 Likes