Mike Pence pisses away $200K+ in taxpayer money at staged protest

Oh, I think we all know its a fucking English pub song.

Also – we all refuse to sing/remember/explain the anthem including:

"So conquer we must
When our cause it is just
and this be our motto
“In God is our Trust.”

Verse.

I mean WHOA JOE! That doesn’t sound like my America and I can understand not participating in the sentiment.

4 Likes

I like this one, too

:slight_smile:

48 Likes

They used to say Quayle was Bush’s health insurance. President Trump has taken that concept to a whole new level.

OK, but President Pence <shudder> sounds apocalyptic.

11 Likes
22 Likes

The rhetorical figure that conflates all these is called a Synecdouche.

8 Likes

Yep and me too. I got drafted and served to protect our collective right to object when any of our rights are threatened.
Super-rich snowflake right wingers are very eager to piss taxpayer money away in their effort impress their base. And boy howdy, Base is just exactly the right description of these sniveling whiners.

Base / (of a person or persons actions or feelings) without moral principles ; ignoble
See also / mouth breathers, lowlifes soulless pices of shit

9 Likes

As a former child actor in dinner theater (Harlequin Theater, MD), I am offended by the comparison. (though not disappointed.)

17 Likes
2 Likes

The first time I saw anyone breath (or type) a word about the national anthem at the beginning of sports events being about “honoring the troops” was when Kapaernik first did his protest. It never was about that before, but suddenly now it is.

All to ignore and deflect from the actual issue at hand.

12 Likes

I hate to be that guy, but whatever your intentions, none of you served to defend anything much but US and military-industrial hegemony.

But of course, that reality doesn’t detract in the slightest from ‘defending freedom’ being the best counterargument against authoritarian fuckwads.

8 Likes

It’s the idea that these shitbags don’t even want to pretend to be leaders. Forget the idea of speaking to our principles, of uniting us, of seeking consensus and understanding, of representing all of us. No, they’d rather clutch pearls and pit Americans against each other. All the Trumpies want to do is campaign.

(Not only that, but Kaepernick was originally sitting during the anthem. But then a Green Beret told him kneeling would be less likely to appear disrespectful.)

By the way, you can find awesomely awful comments after that piece.

10 Likes

Ooh! It also leaves sitting as a possible escalation, if they wanna step it up a notch :smiley:

5 Likes
  1. People continue to put the SYMBOL of freedom ahead of the ACTUAL freedom.

2. I don’t care if Pence wants to chime in but he could at least get what the protest is about right.

3. If you are going to run a campaign giving ample lip service to reducing government waste, one would think you wouldn’t approve of ~$250K to fly a guy around so he would walk out of a ball game. That doesn’t include all the local security costs. Please protest on your own dime.

15 Likes

So in other words, this was a $200K+ taxpayer-funded partisan re-election campaign fundraiser trip. (With a little publicity stunt thrown in at the game.)

12 Likes

Additionally, according to Vice, the NFL’s policy on players standing for the national anthem also changed in 2009, with athletes “encouraged” thereafter to participate. Prior to that, teams were not given any specific instructions on the matter; some chose to remain in the locker room until after opening ceremonies were completed.

9 Likes

I wish it would be this easy to get Pence to leave the White House.

5 Likes

This f—ing guy thinks he’s Morgan Freeman in The Sum of All Fears, but he’s really just a flunky for the neo-nazi villian.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I noticed that in the article you linked to - the NFL manual apparently states that the players ‘should’ stand ‘at attention’.

Leaving aside that that is obviously not a mandatory instruction, how exactly do a bunch of civilian sports people stand at ‘attention’?

Is there an NFL manual of drill?

3 Likes

The Wiki writeup is ridiculously slanted, but you’ll get the idea:

2 Likes