Yeah, for the voters, probably not so much, but the dog whistles are no longer in use at the national political level:
I have no idea. The Gregorian Calendar had yet to be invented by the infallible proscribed religious laws.
Don’t call it “Christian nationalism.” Their Christianity is more important.
Call them “Nationalist Christians.”
Nat-Cs, for short.
one of my favorite signs from the long-long-ago of 2011
They’re just wrathful.
The Jewish faith is one where the stranger is welcomed into the home, and the poor should be taken care of. They’re the original no kings religion, and most of what they laid down in the old testament laws were to either set themselves aside from other cultures, or to better themselves in comparison. There’s a reason why so much anarchist philosophy originates with Judaism - it’s because they actually argued with their god and wrestled angels, and fairly consistently won. Pretty much all the good parts of Jesus came from Judaism.
About half the US is Republican, and about half of them are nationalist christians, so that’s about 25% of the country.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
The irony is that the UK has christianity as a state religion, but in the last few years the demographics have shifted to less than half the population calling themselves christian (of any denomination).
The problem in the US isn’t the christianity, it’s the nationalism.
It’s more like about 1/3 are Republican, 1/3 are Democrats, and 1/3 are disenfranchised or apathetic (there doesn’t appear to be much effort into separating the two groups).
So let’s make that 16.6% of the population of the USA dictating how the other 83.4% live.
Oh, you and your silly facts. Everyone knows the right wing abandoned fact-based reasoning long ago. It’s whatever is convenient at the time to keep the ignorant masses angry and afraid! (And ignorant, but that goes without saying.) Consult your Ministry of Truth manual if any further confusion arises.
Burn it! Burn it with fire!!
(What? The Bible? No, never read it. Dangerous thing, reading.)
Cause and effect. my friend. Get the arrow pointed in the right direction. German fascists were inspired by American fascists, Muslim fundamentalists took their inspiration from Christian fundies. Implying otherwise is not accurate.
Here’s a strategy. Let’s get some left/center-left theologians to take them at their word and interview/grill them on the meanings of things in the bible. “Isn’t the bible great? What’s your favourite passage? I love all the stuff about loving thy neighbour and how heaven isn’t for the rich.”
I’m not sure that would work. Many of them are very good at mouthing the noises of forgiveness and charity while being vindictive and greedy in their thoughts and actions.
They firmly believe in “love the sinner, hate the sin”.
You can ask some LGBTQIA+ people from Xtian families what that means in reality. Often it is domestic abuse and conversion therapy.
Yeah. I married into a very religious family and, uh, they aren’t exactly paradigms of the book that they have several prominently around the house.
Several times I’ve surprised them with quotes from it, as I’ve read it as a book, that they didn’t even recall existed. Especially the ones on homosexuality (which came to a head when one of the nieces married a woman) which conflicted with what they believed had to be there.
There’s plenty of fire and vindictiveness in the first part and plenty of forgiveness and niceness in the second. Neither of them like polyester though, so pick your battles.
The survey also found “five core attitudes” associated with Christian nationalist beliefs: anti-Black racism, anti-immigrant views, antisemitic views, anti-Muslim views, and patriarchal understandings of traditional gender roles.
So basically white supremacy? That checks out.
It isn’t two parts though, it is at least nine different parts, all chopped and mixed up.
They will not talk to such, and dismiss them as pawns of satan.
They do not care about the facts of either the bible or the constitution, they care about power.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
I was simplifying into old and new testament, but you’re absolutely correct. It’s more like reading a trapper keeper full of papers from a class than a single or pair of notebooks.