More than half of Republicans support Christian nationalism

Absolutely this.

Yeah, they have lots of experience in doing that, like those versions given to enslaved people:

18 Likes

Holy shit. TIL.

Thank you.

Sometimes history doesn’t just confirm my worst suspicions. It shows me I was too damn optimistic about people.

12 Likes

That’s… I can’t sufficiently describe that.

11 Likes

hmm.

Half of this repeats what is pointed out in the history.com article, but with a lot of additional complaints about how and why a museum advertised or presented an exhibit. I guess putting “Slave Bible” in quotes wasn’t enough to make it clear that that it wasn’t what a theologian would consider to be a bible. :woman_shrugging:t4:

The commentary about how the Bible has been used to convert, control, and exploit people - as well as how passages could be interpreted in ways that support or condemn slavery - is always interesting, but wasn’t anything new. This particular text was the point of the exhibit, and I doubt very much that it’s making anyone who’s read the original believe that there aren’t bad things about the source material. Of course, that’s just one of many complaints about the Museum of the Bible. Fortunately, the work is back at Fisk University, where the author of this article can examine it, free from the manipulations and machinations of any museum.

14 Likes

WTF? Where did I blame anything on brown people? Are you replying to the right post?

When you wrote “Christian Taliban” like religious extremism was learned from the Global South instead of the other way around.

10 Likes

Taliban. The Christian right in American did not model themselves after the Taliban. This has been a major strain in American right wing politics for literally decades. It minimizes the problem here, by just assuming it’s a version of what’s happening abroad. I’d MUCH prefer that we understand this problem as a white supremacist problem, and assuming that they are just like Taliban (which, they actually are not, even if we can discuss a set of global religious movements opposed to modernity) just hides the racism involved in the current right wing Christian movement, I would argue.

Plus, as @DukeTrout there is a strong, and probably more historically accurate argument to be made that such movements like the Taliban has some influence from the west instead of the other way around. I don’t want to say it’s entirely it, but the backlash against secular modernity most likely stems from the west rather than the other way around.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.