Mormon official silences 12-year-old girl in church after she says she's gay

Nice! Maybe you can use one of those straw people as a raft and explore some of the other islands.

13 Likes

Velcome to Boing Boing, comrade.

Pssst! Newsflash:

No one here has “an island,” including you.

We all live on the same planet, and we have to figure out how to coexist respectfully and peacefully; because nobody is just going to stop existing due to others’ ‘discomfort’ with the minute differences that make up the diversity of the human race.

18 Likes

If you’re not a leader of the Church of LDS yourself I hope you make sure to push that philosophy in a very public and loud way, because openness to those of non-heterosexual orientations is one of those areas where your national organisation could stand to make a lot of improvements (see, e.g., its support of California Proposition H8).

A community’s aspirations mean nothing if community members don’t take active measures to implement them. It’s people like yourself who need to stand up to the hidebound and bigoted attitudes of the sclerotic Elders in SLC and some local leaders and make your church more welcoming.

Why should you do it? The future of any church is its youth, and Millenials and younger kids of all religions are increasingly choosing to be on the right side of history when it comes to anti-LGBTQ bigotry. If your Church Elders (national and local) choose to stay on the wrong side of history, the result in 21st century America will be numbers of adherents that dwindle despite all biological efforts to keep the demographics growing.

It’s a win-win for most of the people debating you here: either the Church adopts standards of tolerance and decency (as it belatedly did with African-Americans in the late 1970s) or it starts dying out with its Boomer members. I’m good with either outcome.

12 Likes

The lds church is aspiring to be so tolerant and loving that a couple of years ago they created a policy to excommunicate married same sex couples from the church, and to disallow children of same sex couples to be baptized until they turn 18 and disavow their parent’s lifestyle.

16 Likes

If he doesn’t do any of those things he’s standing by while his religion ages itself into fringe cult status. If that’s the choice he makes, I’m fine with it (granted, it’s unlikely I’ll be affected by its no doubt ugly death throes).

Odd that it wasn’t dramatised in all those PSAs on the joys of family togetherness.

8 Likes

It’s a beautiful Friday. Go outside. We’re not solving the issues surrounding religious intolerance in this topic today.

9 Likes