Morrissey exits stage 30m into set

That’s certainly the side he stands.

6 Likes

Jeremy?

4 Likes

Here We Go Race GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

6 Likes

Does he even have a “best song”, regardless of how far back you go?

I mean I don’t know anyone who admitted to liking him back then; and obviously nobody here is a fan today. So how does he still sell tickets? Is he like a default?

“Hey honey, wanna go see the ‘Alternative Music Artists Festival’ out at the park? Yeah, me too! … Oh wait, it’s sold out. All they have left are Morrissey tickets. … I know, but we haven’t seen anything since the pandemic, and I really want to go see a show. … No, I’m pretty sure half of them have died. … No, they broke up 30 years ago. … OK, Morrissey it is then.”

1 Like

A lot of people were fans of The Smiths back in the day…they were huge. His first few solo albums were also very popular, so he definitely has a large potential fanbase. I assume though that most people don’t keep up on the political opinions of washed up has-beens, so they just don’t know. For a lot of people it would never even occur to them to check and see if the lead singer of The Smiths might have become a racist asshole in the last 35 years

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this a bit, but because of other musicians. Nick Cave wrote on Morrissey in 2019 in answer to someone’s question if it’s possible to separate the musician from the music. I think Cave missed the mental health aspect entirely. Not just for the musician but for the community they’re part of. Billy Corgan owns a tea shop in Highland Park, IL. You might know the name of that town because they just had a mass shooting during a July 4th parade. Corgan held a benefit concert there. I wonder how many people who watched knew that the person holding it had not just supported, but appeared as a guest on Infowars. I wonder how many people who live there would welcome a song about a mass shooting from someone who praised Alex Jones? It’s not like the community was callous.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.