Most popular baby names of 2018

Mmm, I had that as a kid, but then, it still happens now; a minority of people are just, like, allergic to my basic presence. I assume it is autism-spectrum-related but who knows.

I sometimes wonder, if people aren’t willing or able to knock it off, perhaps it’s better to be open about it the way kids are. I mean, I’m fairly certain I’ve been rejected for jobs and social relationships purely because people find me “weird”, and I would very much prefer it if they could just come out and say that. I could get quite exercised about this.

3 Likes

I am a bit in a hurry right now, so sorry for not responding very carefully worded. Names are very complicated, and bear a burden of cultural contexts which is massive. And we’re deep in an intercultural exchange here, I think.

My baseline is that humans are terrible. Parents are no exception. And protecting children even from their parents is a great achievement of modern times. And this does not only include bodily harm.

In detail, the laws and especially their enforcement are problematic. But in general, I am all for challenging the responsibility of parents to name their child like they want to. If they are not up to this responsibility, prevention of harm for the child trumps their right as parents.

Bottom line:
I agree with your observation and most of your arguments, but I come to a different conclusion.

4 Likes

One of my favourite New Yorker cartoons (wow, does that scream “I’m white” or what) is a class photo of a 1980 preschool with the caption, “Scott, Jennifer, Scott, Jennifer, Jennifer, Scott, Scott, Scott, Mrs Teacher, Scott, Jennifer…”

2 Likes

I guess it might be something to do with Latin.

Ava is popular? Is this because Smashing Pumpkins fans are having kids, or because people are having kids who haven’t listened to the pumpkins?

These sorts of trends are very cool to examine.

One thing I found interesting is that the name “Chad” (from incel lore) peaked around 88 then quickly dropped off

So these incel types, who tend to organize online and be around a certain age, have picked a name that brings up a very distinct image of an era - almost like they’ve got some issues around k-12 that should be worked out.

Anyways, sorry if I’m not articulating this well but it’s a weird thing I noticed playing around with the SSA’s tool.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

3 Likes

If it isn’t picked up by Swift’s then there isn’t a God.

This is the first example I think of when I hear that name.

followed by

It’s a different spelling, but it’s obviously the same name

3 Likes

I understand your point and have no argument with it… but would you concede that anyone of the Waud family should give careful consideration as to whether or not they name any of their children Richard?

:slight_smile:

They definitely cycle. Look at Emma and Sophia. Forty years ago, those were the names of old ladies. No one (in the US) was naming babies Emma or Sophia.

Emma was extremely common around 1890. Then it fell away, becoming extremely rare from around 1940 through 1980. Then (having been reactivated by headquarters?) it came surging back.

Check out Baby Name Voyager to see how the popularity of zillions of names has changed over time.

3 Likes

Having a boringly common name is the next best thing to having the same name as a celebrity, in terms of being un-searchable on the internet.

2 Likes

The whole Jonathan Swift allusion made me question if it were real or not. Apparently it is, and the name an odd coincidence.
I bet they went through some real care in coming up with the name: “Look, I think perhaps ‘Swift’s Baby Meat’ is perhaps not ideal, let’s look at some variations of that…”

I was feeling judgey about the multiple boys names that are last names. If it has “son” at the end, it’s a patronymic last name, people.

Apparently it’s an Indo-European thing; feminine nouns ended with an “-a.” Traces still remain in various languages, to differing degrees.
Looking at the list, it strikes me that it’s also an issue of name origin - it seems like in English, male names are far more likely to have Germanic or Celtic origins, female names Latin ones. (So yes to “Mary” but no to “Mario.”) Even names that seem like gendered variations of each other - e.g. Olivia vs. Oliver - have these different origins. I wonder if it’s another example of how words of Saxon vs. Norman origin took on different connotations that impacted their eventual meanings and how we use them still (“cow” vs. “beef”), or has more modern origin (influenced by “romantic” Romance language cultures).

3 Likes

a41637df8b3ff950764d456ab218dd1d--quick-cake-rainbow-layer-cakes

4 Likes

Aiden, Caden, & Mason all picking up after the rise and fall of Jason. I went with Jaydan, but of course spelled it in a non-standard manner.

2 Likes

Actually that idiot playboy Bruce Wayne adopted a circus acrobat of all things whose last name was Grayson. Who does something like that, sometimes I think that guy is not right in the head.

1 Like

One of the most popular boys’ parents of 2018 is evidently a Car. I bet it’s that Lightning McQueen, he gets around.

2 Likes

Or the cousin omgwtfbbq

1 Like

YAY!!!
Baby meat!!!

Turns out I was named after a family pet.

No, my real name is not Indiana.

Anyway, picking on someone for the name their parents gave them is a dick move, especially if they are still a kid. This is not debatable.

4 Likes

8 Likes