Most popular baby names of 2018

Obligs:

6 Likes

Wondered what GIF I’d get :grin:
Just FYI it was a budgie, not a dog.

5 Likes

Cool.

6 Likes

“That’s right Liam, when he grew up, the Swift’s Meat baby became acting attorney general of the United States, and if you are very corrupt and not all that good that your job, you too could become an important figure in the federal bureaucracy.”

image image

5 Likes

They have Spaghetti Joe, but not Tony Macaroni?

2 Likes

Your name is Tweety?

1 Like

I thought at first it was a Scarfolk poster

5 Likes

“Carson” is actually another patronym. Except the name is “Carr” - with patronymic last names, the first name portion often gets abbreviated. Also the patronym outlasts the usages of certain first names.
Since no one gets named “Carr” anymore, the use of “Carson” as a first name isn’t just inappropriate, it means anyone with that name has parents who are fucking liars.

Could have been worse, could have been Big Bird.

4 Likes

But of course, as I think I’m sure you’ve mentioned before given your profession, people die from bullying, so it’s not that simple.

There’s a line somewhere between naming your offspring “punchme” (where IMHO it’s hard not to place the blame on the parents) and something innocuous that I think is worth discussing. Because without discussion, you don’t ever reach the point of change. Mocking a likely-to-be-bullied name doesn’t bring anything to the discussion of course, but I feel discussing how families, communities, and society-at-large treats names within the context of bullying is critical.

IMHO, the bullies “win” when people are affected by their actions, whether that’s through actual, physical harm, emotional distress, or, indeed, choosing a different name than the one you want for your children from fear of bullying.

5 Likes

It’s spelled Raymond Luxury-Yacht, but it’s pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove.

2 Likes

My SO knew someone whose daughter was named Hutton. Their last name was Peck.

1 Like

This is true. Most hits on my full name net you a professional poker player. Which would be cool, but it isn’t me.

However I’ve also had the problem were I’ve gotten emails for other Jennifer Lastnames - once with her new health insurance information. Bizarrely, that was sent to an email address that doesn’t actually contain any part of my name so I’ve no idea how they messed that up.

3 Likes

They didn’t just laugh at the kid’s name. They made comments about how stupid it was within the kid’s hearing and took a photo of the boarding pass to share on social media.

Thinking a name is stupid, that’s fine. The rest were dick moves.

6 Likes

You’re not Lady Tweety-pie Bailey of the Berkshire Baileys are you? If so, I went to prep school with your brother, Sylvester Bailey! (Doh, I see that @teknocholer beat me to that punchline. I feel so jaded)

@anon55609254, the infamous Two-fingered Typist?

3 Likes

Jason will rise again… he always does.

@the_borderer I wonder who saints were named after? I mean loads of kids (in the Western Catholic Tradition) get saint’s names, but those names had to come from somewhere. :smiley:

2 Likes

Michael here (1974). I’m OK with it, even with one of the three most common surnames in the USA. As an adult there’s some benefit to anonymity.

A college classmate, Michael Smith, legally changed his name to Weirdname Weirdsurname at age 20. To each his own I guess…

4 Likes

I’m working on a children’s’ book where one of the characters has the surname “Sillysurname”

3 Likes

If I had joined the military, I’d have changed my surname to “Short-Cummings” and hoped or promotion to Major. Actually there is a bizarrely named family in the histroy of the British Army. Would you follow a chap in battle with the name, Major Pine-Coffin?

2 Likes

Tradition is a die-hard thing. Many names have a literal, translatable meaning, which includes Saint’s names. Some of them are loaned from other languages, of course. In case of Latin(ised) names Hebrew, for example.

1 Like