MTV's Satanic "Wonder Showzen"

Oh, I’m all too aware of fundamentalist nuttery, it’s just that they’re always in danger of slipping into self-parody, as apparently is the case here, making it difficult to tell the difference between the actual article and the parody sometimes. His delivery is such the perfect distillation of everything that’s absurd about those people he seemed just a wee bit too good to be true. Watching some of his other videos, he’s not always in such good form, though he has his moments.

1 Like

Yeah, but there was something about his delivery - his shock and horror - as if he had never heard of something so grotesque!

That’s why there’s 31 flavors of ice cream.

Wondershowezen blew my fucking mind when it came out. The things coming out of their mouths…

Did anyone else notice the TVMA rating at the beginning of the clip? Next week he’ll show clips from Cinimax and bitch about sex on tv.Hmm - this actually could be a fun church to attend.

1 Like

eh, as Garymon said above: it’s his job. he’s done it a thousand times before, and he’ll keep doing it as long as the paper hits the collection plate.

the show must go on.

i’m so jaded, that i think the only sad thing is that he might actually believe himself. probably not in a conscious way, but in that way where you see everything in terms of your job. always looking for scandal: things the flock wouldn’t even notice, let alone consider innocuous; at least not without your guiding hand.

the pastor remembers to himself, a mantra he repeats a thousand times for every recitation of the lord’s prayer: “the world is terrifying, and only i know it.” without even realizing it, some part of him adds a condition: “now, how can i show it?”, a condition which has kept him alive, thriving; given him purpose.

but he doesn’t notice that at all. not even as much as he notices that the remote control barely even clicks anymore, and the chromed plastic on the “channel up” button is peeling away, but it still works. “something, dammit, i need something. no, not this chewing gum ad. more. tomorrow’s sunday. i know the world is shit, but i need to show them. something new, something that matters.”

and then, eight seconds after the onset of this frantic pique, like clockwork, he realizes yet again for the first time, “why go searching for the devil? mtv is channel 20.”

Yeah, I saw parts of another video of his, and he was clearly trying a lot harder. More conventional fundamentalist nonsense without the same level of delivery. E.g. the eye-pyramid on the dollar bill is a sign of the Anti-Christ, therefore all music albums whose covers display either a triangle or an eye show that all popular music is part of a conspiracy to pave the way for the Anti-Christ. A story about how a “street preacher” was spit on in “Iceland” (I don’t know what it is about fundamentalists and Iceland - they act as if it were a hotbed of paganism, rather than a country with a bigger percentage of Christians than the US), and how it failed to make international news, whereas if a Christian spit on a homosexual, that would obviously be international news. It’s still so close to parody, it was only the delivery that showed it for what it was; it’s the same old manufacturing of outrage based on narratives that he is unlikely to believe in, himself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.