Muhammad Ali Jr detained AGAIN at airport today

When the father dies, the son is no longer Jr, but nobody knows the rules so we just make them up. You’re not supposed to be Sr. until you’re dead.

1 Like

Wait, is D.W.S. cool again? I thought she’s part of the reason we ended up with H.R.C. vs D.T. instead of B.S. vs D.T.

Certainly she was at least more interested in putting core party interests ahead of what the people wanted, and bailed out into the warm embrace of the secondary DNS apparatus.

Any port in a storm at this point?

8 Likes

Normally it’s when “Sr.” dies, but in this case the name is too famous to do that.

10 Likes

Maybe Ali’s “crime” was being on the same flight as Schulz.

You reminded me of Krushchev’s (often misreported) comment.
What Krushchev actually said at the UN was “We will attend your funeral”. Just like Marx, he got the timescale wrong. And the country…it’s going to be China, not the Soviet Union.

2 Likes

As soon as the GOP gets sick of the racist discrimination, religious intolerance, environmental negligence, 0.001% kleptocracy, and authoritarianism, we should see…

…oh, never mind then.

We’re well and truly fucked

7 Likes

I wasn’t attempting to make a reference… any such reference was purely unintended.

Q: is a wealthy person likely to receive a lighter sentence than a poor person charged with the same crime?

A: if yes, then you do not have a justice system. You have a plutocracy system.

The fact that this is seen as unobjectionable and inevitable is a sign of just how deeply fucked up the system is.

8 Likes

[quote=“JamesBean, post:4, topic:96789, full:true”]
I pray that DHS does this to him every time he flies. For the sake of all the unknowns who don’t have a national platform to call attention to the injustices they are also enduring.[/quote]
I understand your logic, but you seem to be overlooking the fact that Muhammand Ali Jr, despite being the son of someone extremely famous, is not an abstraction of inherited celebrity but a real person who is also enduring those injustices.

You’re also assuming that the media will keep reporting it when it keeps happening every time he flies.

7 Likes

oh come on.

Wanting the burden to fall on those most able to bare it is not dehumanization.

Looking back a few years… A famous urban-legend quote attributed to Patton, “The difference between a German and a Nazi is like the diff between a Democrat and Republican,” could apply now to Trumpeteers and Americans. But remember, several million German civilians died in the war and in the forced starvation and relocation (East German side) following the war.

1 Like

[quote=“cjankelson, post:59, topic:96789, full:true”]

Looking back a few years… A famous urban-legend quote attributed to Patton, “The difference between a German and a Nazi is like the diff between a Democrat and Republican,” could apply now to Trumpeteers and Americans.[/quote]

You could read that pseudoquote either way: either “Germans are normal people”, or “fascism is closer than you think”.

Genocidal racism is the historical norm; it’s tolerant pluralism that is the aberration.

4 Likes

I wonder if there’s someone on the No-Fly list with the same name. Which would be kind of stupid, considering how common that name must be in the world, but it happened to Ted Kennedy as well.

I mostly persists with the cooperation of individual Americans, every day.

My direct observation of this kind of “common sense” is that it just means “what people around here accept uncritically.”

5 Likes

The Rust Belt is built on common sense. It is also built on deep, fundamental racism and undue power to plutocrats. Remember this area gave the world the Birwood wall, Carnegie and Rockefeller.

3 Likes

You just reminded me of Krushchev’s remark. Dragging pall-bearers onto the pyre is pretty much what may happen, as other countries - even and perhaps especially those that are anti-US - would suffer severe consequences from a US collapse.

1 Like

Canada.

2 Likes

Not just Trump.

3 Likes

Trump is racism on steroids.

My point was that Trump didn’t invent this racism, he’s just channeling it. This is just your garden variety American racism. He’s just enabled and validated it by successfully running for president.

12 Likes