Musk blames Twitter's "massive drop in revenue" on "activists," instead of blaming himself

…and in fact we have numbers here too. I’ve worked in multiple different free content businesses, and the sign up rate for subscriptions (what we call Conversion) is very consistent. Across the board, 1-5% of a given audience will subscribe for additonal perks above free content. Some niches can do 8-10% if they are managed really well.

That’s it. Twitter is fucked. There’s no way Musk can service that debt he just buried the company under.

My guess is he’s going to liquidate it to cut his losses. He’s already threatened to lay off 75% of the staff, which no business can possibly survive. Every company has some chaff, sure, but no functioning org can survive a 75% reduction.

20 Likes

His understanding of free speech seems pretty poor for someone who sees himself as a champion of free speech.

8 Likes

That’s my bet too. It’s gonna be such a massive loss, that he, and several generations after him, will have massively sweet tax credits and never pay the US Treasury ever again.

This is probably why the orange turd never wants to reveal his tax returns. He probably shows nothing but losses, therefore, paying no tax. But also, demonstrating what an incompetent businessman he really is. He really is. (And so was George Bush Jr, but that’s another topic.)

10 Likes

Or multisyllabic names.

The streets would be given one-syllable names in alphabetical order. When the one-syllable series ended, two-syllable names would be used, and then three-syllable names. Only in the Northwest Quadrant was a “fourth alphabet” necessary. This fourth alphabet uses botanical names without regard to the number of syllables: Aspen, Butternut, Cedar, etc.

Streets and highways of Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia.

6 Likes

I thought the stepped-up basis tax loophole was closed with the Infrastructure Act? That was part of how they planned to pay for it.

9 Likes

Came here to say this. Not disappointed.

4 Likes

Sounds bad, but I’m liking that very last word.

17 Likes

I’ve mentioned before that I lurk on a Twitter group for highly technical professionals. Even before the Mush takeover, there were several posts over the last couple of years asking, “why is this group on Twitter when there is more anti-science content per minute on this platform than science this group posts in a decade?”

I hope they move to LinkedIn. LI isn’t perfect, but at least it’s mostly professional.

18 Likes

I honestly can’t tell if they’re trying to present that as a good thing or a bad thing.

I know that Twitter has fundamentally changed the way information is distributed and what kinds of stories dominate the media. That’s exactly why I’m hoping the platform will collapse.

Take Twitter out of the equation and Trump doesn’t win the election in 2016. I’m not even exaggerating.

Let the damn thing burn.

21 Likes

I’m a fan of space-x, Tesla’s accelerate enough for me to see god, but fuck musk and dump Twitter.

4 Likes

This belief that we “need twitter” to do these things is bullshit hostage taking run at the highest level. We don’t NEED Twitter. We operated news just fine BEFORE twitter. We’ll do just fine with it on Mastodon or back on journals or RSS feeds or whatever some tech bro comes along and convinces people is a new invention next.

It’s a lie that we “need” twitter. A lie propagated by Twitter to guilt us into allowing ourselves to continue to be locked in to a broken system that has led to far more damage to society than it ever helped.

15 Likes

With no equivalent of fire insurance* when he torches it. It’s turning out that a 1970s Bronx slumlord or a mobster had more business sense than Musk.

[* I don’t think any tax scheme he might have up his sleeve is going to pay for this disaster.]

10 Likes

I can really appreciate the intellectual consistency of a position where voting with your dollars is just good, honest, freedom of speech; but other people voting with their dollars is nefarious ‘activism’ that is somehow much less legitimate than other coordinated economic activity because reasons.

14 Likes

“But the invisible hand loves me!” /s

10 Likes

I can only conclude that it’s some sort of theodicy-for-libertarians phenomenon; with the same sort of tendency to retreat to what looks an awful lot like Manicheism when the situation shifts from piously dismissing bad things happening to other people as all part of the greater good to grappling with how bad things could happen to people who matter.

13 Likes

For a long time I’ve idly hoped that the ventures Musk invested in would succeed while Musk would personally fail.

And it looks like I just might get my wish…

7 Likes

Yah, with someone like him, it doesn’t even matter. He’ll pay himself a few hundred million for his trouble and sell the corpse at pennies on the dollar to Yahoo or Quora.

12 Likes

I think it does matter though. Musk is not going to become poor for this, but the way he makes money has been convincing people to invest and government to subsidize because he is a tech and business supergenius. And I imagine advertisers are probably not the only ones realizing he is not such a good choice to work with.

15 Likes

These people have such a reality distortion field that I don’t think his reputation will suffer. He’ll blame market forces or “activists” or whatever and everyone will go back to treating him as a genius. It’s not like he hasn’t already given the world a thousand reasons to not give him money. If they haven’t stopped by now, they never will.

13 Likes

Assuming he doesn’t cross the SEC again. He would probably flee rather than face jail time, but I do think they’ve run out of patience with him.

8 Likes