Musk blames Twitter's "massive drop in revenue" on "activists," instead of blaming himself

Give him time, soon we’ll be at exhibit 驫.

8 Likes

With all the cuts he’s making to staff, an unintended consequence no one seems to be thinking about is: how long before the entire user database is hacked, with everyone’s passwords/emails and other data exposed?

My advice: get the fuck out if you’re still on there.

22 Likes

You already know my stance on defeatism:

7 Likes

I used to do filing for a law firm; typically they go up to triple letters, then alpha-numeric combos.

14 Likes

I should have said buying a candidate. I don’t have any faith that the person he’d back would actually win.

9 Likes

Twitter owner, sole director and – according to his Twitter profile, now also “Twitter Complaint Hotline Operator” – has reportedly informed company staff that layoffs begin tomorrow.

Accounts of an internal email detailing the layoffs have reached The New York Times and The Washington Post, both of which report that as of Thursday night US time Twitter has closed its offices and made it impossible for staff to access them with key cards.

The internal email reportedly advises staff that by 9AM Pacific Time on Friday all staff will receive a message with the subject line “Your Role at Twitter.”

Those who still have a role will get that email to their Twitter email account.

Those who are being let go will get it at their personal account. The personal touch.

[…]

16 Likes

Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin: If Musk’s Twitter flops, it’s not such a bad thing

8 Likes

Of course, that replacement is an even worse web3 infested vision of a social nightmare

12 Likes

Meet the “activists”:

Big brands urged to pause Twitter ads until Elon’s learned how this all works

As Elon Musk gets a rapid crash course in running and moderating a social network used by millions of angry people, major advertisers are reportedly advising their clients to pause ads on the tycoon’s Twitter platform until brand safety can be assured.

Reports bubbled yesterday that international ad giant Interpublic Group – which counts Nintendo, Unilever, Coca-Cola, and other corporate heavyweights among its customers – had told its clients advertising on Twitter would be ultimately up to them, but advised an ad freeze until things calmed down.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Havas Media Group – which has handled advertising for companies like Adidas, Puma, and Hugo Boss among others – is also advising clients to pause Twitter advertising. Per the WSJ, “people familiar with the matter” say Havas, too, is concerned about Twitter’s ability to monitor content and ensure brand safety.

“At this moment, we cannot confidently state that Twitter is a safe place for brands,” Interpublic Group told clients in an email seen by the WSJ.

[…]

19 Likes

i cant think of a company that gives up its data just because you stop using their service
( okay, except boingboing. ) i mean facebook tracks users who’ve never even had a facebook account(!)

yes, you can delete your account and even remove your tweets from public view. and twitter says you can recover a “deleted account” within 30 days, but i don’t read that to mean they purge all information about you from their system.

however – if you’re in california – there is a theoretically a way:

California residents should also be able to ask Twitter to delete all their data under the California Consumer Privacy Act. The company does not make this process clear, but start with this form for contacting Twitter and select “I want to ask a question regarding privacy on Twitter,” then try “Cancellation of data” from the second drop-down menu.

though i assume he’s already fired the employees who would be tasked to do that.

i wouldn’t guarantee that he knows that. i’m sure he believes in the “meritocracy” where people are rich because they’re special – not where people become rich because of hard work ( none of us live in that world. )

he was born rich, and i don’t think he’s ever considered how often he fails. his failures are padded by his immense wealth.

11 Likes

Twitter isn’t “safe” for anyone who isn’t a White cis-het “Xtian” male.

And of course, brands matter more than actual people…

19 Likes

As somebody pointed out, Nazi trollies like Twitter because they can own the libs. If there aren’t any libs to own any more, the fun is gone. This is why avowedly far-right knock-offs like Truth Social, Gab and Parler flop.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1588585410149904384

14 Likes

KossGbc

Best I can do

17 Likes

Yeah, for instance the recent explosion of hate speech was heavily driven by -channers who organized to test boundaries and get a rise out of the existing Twitter user base. If there hadn’t been anyone to piss off, they wouldn’t have bothered.

8 Likes

I am looking forward to the MyPillowing of Twitter

5 Likes

He still hasn’t made The Boring Company and a few other ventures profitable yet either. Everything Musk owns or manages could come crashing down precipitously.

9 Likes

Don’t threaten me with a good time

12 Likes

Seems like Musk wants to outdo Zuck as ‘Worst Thing to Happen to Social Media’.

5 Likes

Beau on brand safety, if it hasn’t already been posted;

14 Likes

Oh, it gets worse and worse:

11 Likes