Musk manipulates Twitter to ensure the world sees his tweets at the top of their feed

Yes. We know. Like I said, I’m not suggesting that we can completely get out of that. But not every other platform actively supports fascists or the elimination of trans people. Musk is ACTIVELY doing that right now.

11 Likes

Are you sure they aren’t just as bad…?

7 Likes

The correct analogy woukd be if you were purchasing a VW in 1944 with German war bonds.

Your use of (and benefit to) Twitter is contemporaneous to this discussion.

10 Likes

Ok, I’ll admit that this is an assumption (and mine as well,) but I’m also getting a strong sense of “but both sides do bad things!” from this.

And it ain’t too hard to get along with somebody else’s troubles
And they don’t make you lose any sleep at night
Just as long as fate is out there bustin’ somebody else’s bubbles
Everything is gonna be alright
And everything is gonna be alright
– Steve Goodman, Somebody Else’s Troubles

11 Likes

Wow. I had just hit post when that reply popped up. It’s like I’m psychic or something …

12 Likes

The people at the least risk from Twitter are straight white guys. Minorities tend to see the problems that are screaming in their face every day.

So call it an educated guess.

14 Likes

Using Twitter keeps the platform alive even with adblockers, you might not be driving traffic where Elon wants it but you’re still keeping that engagement on Twitter. I’m certainly not going to give anyone grief for using Twitter, FB, and similar platforms but just know that you have other options that don’t involve trash fires and nazis.

14 Likes

BIPOC, LGBTQ+, Minorities and anyone classified as ‘Other’ know full well that when a Nazi straight up BUYS your ‘local bar’, then it’s just time to find a new bar to do your drinking.

15 Likes

No matter what precautions you take, if you post to twitter you are creating free content for the platform, which is (presumably) read by others - many (most?) of whom do generate revenue for Elon and Twitter.

It’s the network effect - your post is a stone in the pond that ripples out and increases twitter engagement, gives them content to run ads against (presumably the kind of content they need most for advertisers - I mean, I assume that you are not posting hate speech and holocaust denial - which makes your innocuous Dr. Who tweet very valuable to Twitter

You can engage with whatever you choose, of course. But keep in mind that you are also working for Elon for free with each post you make

(You in the meaning of “one”, not directed at @Grey_Devil)

15 Likes

IKR?!
that-is-pathetic-as-hell-tyler-perry

4 Likes

I see items 18 and 34 are well covered here.

10 Likes

Did we ever decide how many count as a Bingo?

9 Likes

You’ve already gotten plenty of good answers, but I’d just add that musk and his supporters use counts of active users (which you seem to be one) to show that he has support and to dismiss criticism. It’s not as good as mdau (which maybe you’re not) or followers, but it’s something they point to, like “see: users like what’s happening, or at least they don’t mind. Otherwise, they’d leave”.

You can keep using twitter if you find value in it, but it’s good to be honest about it.

5 Likes

I get that and I know that my admitting to using Twitter has caused some upset. But I do find value from it. I keep up on trans issues via accounts like National Center for Transgender Equality, I like Elie Mystal from the Nation, Charles Pierce from WaPo, Wagatwe Wanjuki, BBC/Doctor Who stuff, and currently all of the stuff from the East Palestine, OH, disaster. There are also people I follow/converse with on there that aren’t on other social media sites so “just” going to Mastodon or Tumblr wouldn’t be the same since they’re not there.

I’m done with this conversation now. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your comments.

Oh…Item 34…

6 Likes

I mean Discourse makes it impossible to block certain amounts, so… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

From reading through the thread, it seems more like the utter refusal to admit that using the platform is tacitly supporting Musk and his fascist agenda is what mainly caused the upset.
Tons of us are on Twitter. But we don’t bury our heads in the sand about it.
It’s okay to admit that we are flawed humans navigating a complex world the best way we can. :woman_shrugging:t2:

17 Likes

Not here.

Yep.

9 Likes

Then boing boing, which often links to Twitter, tacitly supports Musk and his fascist agenda. Biden’s office posts on Twitter as well, so therefore, the president tacitly supports Musk. There’s more… the Daily Show. The BBC. Al Jazeera. Henry Winkler. Rob Reiner. George Takei. Josh Marshall… all of them, tacitly supporting Musk & fascism. Ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad absurdum.

Also, Meliz… cute meme and I just wish you had enough self-reflection to consider maybe it’s not me you’re talking about.

Did anyone say other wise?

And as far as I know, BB as an org doesn’t have a twitter, but individual authors might have twitter or link to twitter - which, like you, is up to them.

9 Likes