My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

I like joking about Necco, but they really are an institution and I admire their longevity.

I didn’t know they made Mary Janes . . . another candy that only surfaces at Halloween.

1 Like

I see divisive discussions like this around on the internet but… my daughters are coeliac, kind of nasty and fairly immediate effects plus nastier and longer ones, and I mention it before parties, just to warn not to make a big deal of offering stuff because I will be bringing it anyway and I’m blown away by how most people and places want to make sure my children are safe and have food that doesn’t make them sick and are looked after. People bend over backwards all the time for my children. It’s incredible.

In general people are great.

When we go around tomorrow evening they won’t really be able to eat most of what is given to them, but that’s fine, because they will get too much to be healthy anyway. We will have our own stuff for the party and find some other use for the sweets we can’t use.

So maybe we are hijacking sweets at the door that we can’t use but I beg the indulgence of our neighbours on that as I think it’s better than telling them what they can do.

7 Likes

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

4 Likes

I anoint thee “baneel” short for banana peel.

4 Likes

Ooh! What’s mine!?

I will answer you over here.

1 Like

I don’t buy the candy that I know the kids will like. I buy the candy that I know I will like, because I’m the one that’s gonna be eating the leftovers. And I ain’t allergic to nuts, goddamn it.

8 Likes

Aaah! I’m not just imagining it? Thank you!

And this is why it’s worth reading the comments on Boing Boing.

1 Like

As a peanut allergy sufferer, I can attest that regular M&M’s did use to have peanuts listed in their ingredients list (the real one, not the “may contain” addendum). If I recall correctly, this would have been the late '80s. Don’t know if it was in the shell or not, but it was there somewhere. After eating a few in my youth, I (luckily) sensed that I should probably check the ingredients before having any more.

Also, even though I’ve never been as supremely allergic to peanuts as some people, I don’t think a properly wrapped peanut treat would contaminate any other treats. If it’s a sealed bag, like most candy bars come in, and there are no holes, I extremely doubt that even the most sensitive would be genuinely threatened.

3 Likes

Either of you two tried smoking and then drying habs? (Like making a chipotle, but different.)

3 Likes

I’m gonna when they are cheap again. I’ll be grinding them OUTSIDE not in the kitchen with no eye and mouth protection.

3 Likes

I’ve got a hot sauce that takes some of these and a bushel or two of scotch bonnets. They go in the food processor and then I go outside while it’s running. (These were home grown.)

Since I’m left handed, I give all the kids left handed scissors, pat them on the head and say, “now run along, kids”

3 Likes

and what about the poor soldier stationed overseas crying because he’s allergic to peanuts and can’t eat anything you send him? what then?

3 Likes

Listen here banana boy! (I can do any more cuz now I’m just giggling…)

1 Like

Give kids caffeinated gum instead.

7 Likes

Weapons-grade evil.

3 Likes

I tried smoking habaneros, but they gave me a mean cough.

10 Likes

I grew up with an allergic kid, and his parents always did a candy trade. 1 piece of stuff he couldn’t eat for one prepurchased by his parents piece of one of his favorite candies. It’d be like being able to trade all your crappy candy for something delicious, like say… Necco Wafers! (pink/wintergreen is the best!).

4 Likes

+1 for crafty driving trollies.

5 Likes