My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

Now I want a fucking jelly baby

8 Likes

Why you gotta be so pointy?

2 Likes

Does Clove gum taste anything like Teaberry gum?

2 Likes

Way to stay on fleek.

5 Likes

Yes, except the teaberry is replaced with Clove.

5 Likes

Itā€™s ā€œfleeqā€ now.

We gotta keep up with the kids on this one.

2 Likes

I canā€™t even. I had to look it up. I am old and unglamorous.

4 Likes

Phleeq, if you read 2600.

5 Likes

I used to get that mag. I miss it.

(I know itā€™s still in print but itā€™s not the same!)

1 Like

I like joking about Necco, but they really are an institution and I admire their longevity.

I didnā€™t know they made Mary Janes . . . another candy that only surfaces at Halloween.

1 Like

I see divisive discussions like this around on the internet butā€¦ my daughters are coeliac, kind of nasty and fairly immediate effects plus nastier and longer ones, and I mention it before parties, just to warn not to make a big deal of offering stuff because I will be bringing it anyway and Iā€™m blown away by how most people and places want to make sure my children are safe and have food that doesnā€™t make them sick and are looked after. People bend over backwards all the time for my children. Itā€™s incredible.

In general people are great.

When we go around tomorrow evening they wonā€™t really be able to eat most of what is given to them, but thatā€™s fine, because they will get too much to be healthy anyway. We will have our own stuff for the party and find some other use for the sweets we canā€™t use.

So maybe we are hijacking sweets at the door that we canā€™t use but I beg the indulgence of our neighbours on that as I think itā€™s better than telling them what they can do.

7 Likes

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

4 Likes

I anoint thee ā€œbaneelā€ short for banana peel.

4 Likes

Ooh! Whatā€™s mine!?

I will answer you over here.

1 Like

I donā€™t buy the candy that I know the kids will like. I buy the candy that I know I will like, because Iā€™m the one thatā€™s gonna be eating the leftovers. And I ainā€™t allergic to nuts, goddamn it.

8 Likes

Aaah! Iā€™m not just imagining it? Thank you!

And this is why itā€™s worth reading the comments on Boing Boing.

1 Like

As a peanut allergy sufferer, I can attest that regular M&Mā€™s did use to have peanuts listed in their ingredients list (the real one, not the ā€œmay containā€ addendum). If I recall correctly, this would have been the late '80s. Donā€™t know if it was in the shell or not, but it was there somewhere. After eating a few in my youth, I (luckily) sensed that I should probably check the ingredients before having any more.

Also, even though Iā€™ve never been as supremely allergic to peanuts as some people, I donā€™t think a properly wrapped peanut treat would contaminate any other treats. If itā€™s a sealed bag, like most candy bars come in, and there are no holes, I extremely doubt that even the most sensitive would be genuinely threatened.

3 Likes

Either of you two tried smoking and then drying habs? (Like making a chipotle, but different.)

3 Likes

Iā€™m gonna when they are cheap again. Iā€™ll be grinding them OUTSIDE not in the kitchen with no eye and mouth protection.

3 Likes