My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

You are dead to me.

2 Likes

Ah, okay, I apologize for the misinformation. This was 15+ years ago, and they very well may have changed their shells in that time, or possibly never made with actual peanut flour, but were heavily contaminated with it by the peanut M&Ms made nearby.

Oh, I forgot to say. I love to leave large marshmallows sitting out for days, and eat them when they become stale and hard.

4 Likes

Mmmmmmm, pillow mints.

2 Likes

Here is an idea…

If your kids have a specific allergy, buy a bunch of “replacement candy”. When they come home from trick-or-treating, go through what they got, trade them one-for-one for stuff they are not allergic to. That way, they don’t feel ripped off for getting a big chunk of their Halloween haul thrown away because of bad genetics. Just remember to buy stuff the kid actually likes, not just crap you think is “good for them”.

4 Likes

I’m evil, but damn

4 Likes

We don’t need to know the particulars, to know that it is rude to demand (no polite asking, here) that everybody stop giving out candy with nuts to OTHER CHILDREN so that their own child can be happy. I’d be perfectly happy to give their child carrot sticks (and would encourage everybody on the block to do so as well). Let’s see how disappointed their kid is to get nothing but carrot sticks for Hallowe’en.

7 Likes

Why would it be important to you to know the identity of the flyer hanger? Seems a little creepy. You must have meant so you could make sure to know which child to give safe candy to.

1 Like

I would expect no less from someone with a palette so unrefined as to cast dispersions on Neccos.

Oh, yeah. Dead to me. Right. Forget I said anything.

2 Likes

[quote=“japhroaig, post:22, topic:68417, full:true”]
Oh shit there is a British candy I didn’t know about
? [/quote]

BC isn’t all that far away, well a bit more of a haul for you than me but there is easy plentiful access to such things just across the border.

That was kind of my point, nobody seemed to be trying to empathize with or understand the family at all, it just automatically turned into a weird two-minutes-hate towards a family and situation that nobody knows anything about.

Is it more rude or less rude than public shaming on the internet?

Good plan, lets punish the kid further.

The carrot sticks seem like such an obvious troll-tell it’s hard to build up any outrage.

2 Likes

A bit less more (edit - we are referring to if THEIR behaviour is more or less rude, I got it backwards :slight_smile: ) - we are shaming someone on the internet for being a dick.

We’re not punishing them - their very own parents requested that we give them carrot sticks. So carrot sticks it is. If it’s a punishment, it’s their own parent doling it out.

1 Like

Holy cow. Good luck.

Oh, I’d never put one up. I used to just turn the lights out and not open the door.

I’ve seen them back home though - the local rag and the police put those things out and some people do use them.

1 Like

A very different take on what the term “caramelized onions” is usually taken to mean…

12 Likes

Some poor kid showed up last night - only one - “trick or treat”! London. Thursday evening. Posh mom’s voice -“oh sorry!”.

She was clearly the Devil’s familiar - torturing her innocent 7 year old son by taking him trick or treating not on Halloween night (and why - WHY - Thursday?).

I felt bad, but was unprepared for this. Smile, wave, hello, sorry, enjoy.

But no tricks, or treats.

I think the mother, she was on drugs.

I think Carmel apples arent that awesome to hand out at the door anyways, razor blades or not. You got this massive sticky thing on a stick, you can’t put it in your candy bag, so you got to carry it around by the stick. The parents don’t want to have to carry it around or bring the messy thing back into the car. It’s just not the best thing to hand out.

1 Like

Not pictured–sage and cardamom for the caramel. Contemplating adding some of @awjt s smoked chiles.

3 Likes

@awjt you never told me you were a chiliman! Me too!

3 Likes