My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

good point. obviously my internal internet cynic is too lazy to go that extra step.

Obligatory.

1 Like

This would motivate me to hand out King size Reese’s peanut butter cups. Or maybe just jars of peanutbutter and boxes of gluten powder.

6 Likes

why punish the kid for a stupid parent?

4 Likes

You’re right, I mean, won’t the kid be punished enough by all the atomic wedgies his classmates give him at school on Monday?

2 Likes

Are they? I thought the reason you couldn’t give them to kids with nut allergies is because they’re made in the same factory as peanut M&M’s (and I suppose, peanut butter M&M’s now), and therefore cross-contamination was a real concern.

You can get chocolate Smarties in Canada, as well. I kinda like rockets (as mentioned above, what we call American Smarties), though

@AnthonyI - even if those were caramel apples, they would almost certainly be frowned upon here. Because you might be a lunatic putting razor blades in apples, and then stupidly giving them out to people from your house, where they can instantly track them back to you.

8 Likes

Just a reminder - teal paint is not considered a food product most of the time :wink:

7 Likes

Well, I think so. That’s what I was told by a family friend who I used to babysit for; she gave her allergic kid plain M&Ms once and he went into anaphylactic shock. She says she was told by Mars that the shells contain peanut flour.

Tell you the truth I don’t think anyone here trusts anything home made given out on Halloween night. I think most people prefer manufactured goodies hermetically sealed in wrappers.

2 Likes

I came to say that although whoever put this up is an idiot, if my kid came home with a bag full of necco’s I’d be on cloud 9.

7 Likes

Hrmm, I’ve never heard that - they don’t list peanuts as an ingredient, but rather put the “may contain peanuts” warning, which according to their allergy page means that it’s not an actual ingredient, but could be there as a result of cross contamination. A quick googling around says that apparently they did (or may have) indeed previously put peanut flour in the shells, I can’t find anything authoritative on that though.

Yup. Because RAZOR APPLES. Or something.

5 Likes

You can always just buy out your kid’s candy. Offer some amount per piece, $.10 or $.25 and then the kid gets to trick or treat but still gets cool loot and doesn’t feel like he missed out on anything. I do this with my kid even though he isn’t allergic to anything just so that there isn’t a crap-ton of candy in the house.

4 Likes

This is happening.

15 Likes

This very well could be true, but it feels like a troll poster to me. I first saw it on reddit (not sure if it existed elsewhere first) and redditors are known to make up things just for reddit’s “karma” points. If you look at the original thread there, you can see how it was pretty much tailor-made for outrage junkies to get themselves worked up into a frenzy. It’s just too pitch perfect in everything that would make people mad.

But a genuine suggestion for kids with allergies or even just kids for whom you want to limit their sugar intake: the Switch Witch-- a mythical figure like the Tooth Fairy that replaces the candy with toys or healthy alternatives and donates the candy to kids in need. Most of the fun is collecting the candy anyway, even if kids can’t admit that yet.

5 Likes

Considering how severe peanut allergies in particular are, and considering how sensitive some people are (it’s almost unbelievable), I can understand this parents frustration. If his allergy is bad enough, even one wrapped PayDay could contaminate the kids whole haul. Try to imagine how much effort these parents have to go through to keep their kid safe, checking EVERY label, talking to a manager at EVERY restaurant, all while enduring the suspicion and rudeness of people ignorant of the severity of some allergies. So while I agree that her signs seem a little silly, they bear the scent of letting go of a lot of pent-up frustration in a misguided way.

For example, look at this post even. No one knows the particulars, but almost all of you are instantly ready to heap scorn on these people. Try to empathize a little and imagine what day to day life would be like, trying to protect a kid with a severe allergy, all the while getting very little help from the people who you must rely on to help keep your kid safe and to provide some semblance of a normal life. (I’m sure that kid is PAINFULLY aware of being different, and I’m sure there are plenty of little assholes who won’t let him forget for a second).

This post is pretty knee-jerk, and feels just plain cruel.

2 Likes

Hey I like Necco wafers. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Putting up the first sign might mean your house is beggin’ for an eggin’.

3 Likes

No prob. I admit that like with art, taste is subjective.

I like circus peanuts and pillow mints, though I’m sure many people here don’t.

1 Like

Ooh that’s north of 49 equivalent is. MrsTobinL was never able to come up with one… though come to think of it I have not seen Rockets in BC. Now I will have to look for them.

Plus, what if one of those vicious, bad kind of kids throws it at someone?