My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

In our area, some fire departments will pay kids by the pound for their Halloween candy, then send it to soldiers overseas. I know some parents who do that as well. Worth looking into for kids who want to join the fun but have allergies.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference? Oy vey.

I do that, actually. Have a separate basket with only non-allergenic stuff, and I mention it if I get the sense that the kid isnā€™t automatically taking the candy without looking at it.

But no one has ever been a jerk about it.

53 Likes

I went toy shopping with my friendā€™s little boy today. There were NO toy anklyosaurs. Most upsetting.

4 Likes

That is wonderfully messed up.

5 Likes

Someoneā€™s got to be trolling here - that would explain the terrible treat suggestions.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a right way and a wrong way to go about this.

Right way:

• Walk with your child and when the door opens, hold up the No Peanuts
    symbol and smile and say to whoever is handing out the treats, ā€œNo
    peanuts, pleaseā€ - most people will work with you.

• If your child is so allergic to peanuts that peanut-free candy that
    is even in the same proximity as something with peanuts is an issue,
    then pre-visit your neighbors ahead of time and hand them what you
    want handed back to your kid. Again, people are willing to work with
    you.

Wrong Way:

• Hang up bitchy passive aggressive signs and then nitpick the haul anyway.
19 Likes

I love carrots, but Iā€™ll take Chick Tracts any day of the week, just for the lulzā€¦

8 Likes

Having walked by the old NECCO bulding, there are HUGE taps (like you see for fire truck hookup on most buildings) for the corn syrup delivery. Itā€™s pretty epic.

8 Likes

and of course, clove is still the best flavor.

6 Likes

Remind me that I should never eat your toffee ā€œapplesā€. Onions give me stomach cramps for a week and make me vomit.

1 Like

If there are other kids in the neighborhood who attend the same school, I guarantee that that know which kid this is and by extension which parent. Anonymous no more! (assuming that there arenā€™t multiple kids on the street with ā€œsevereā€ peanut allergies)

I know my kids can tell me every kid in their classroom who has a food allergy and what they are allergic toā€¦

2 Likes

No nuts, No gluten, No Dairy. Are cow patties okay? Probably not. Not even cow patties.

5 Likes

I love getting lunched, especially if itā€™s on someone elseā€™s dime. Have your people call my peopleā€¦

4 Likes

I havenā€™t had M&Ms in a long time, and a quick web search yielded no results, but I suspect M&Ms may be like Hersheyā€™s milk chocolate in containing butyric acid, which is found in spoiled milk and baby barf. Itā€™s what gives Hersheyā€™s candy bars their special barfy aftertaste.

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t that be ā€œtrick or filk songā€ then?

5 Likes

Nahā€¦ it actually happened here in CT.

Good news is, almost all of us (at least West Of The River) vaccinate.

Sorry, I donā€™t have any carrot sticks for peanut allergic children, but hereā€™s a regular stick I found!

12 Likes

Probably for the best. Carrot allergies are potentially fatal. I canā€™t believe this person would be so selfish.

10 Likes