Nazi cartoonist meets the Streisand Effect after Twitter censors discussion of his identity

And “just joking”.

28 Likes

?

Even the billionaire manchild Elon Musk posted on his microblogging platform X (formerly known as “Twitter”) a modified StoneToss cartoon in which the text in the final panel had been altered

wasn’t well known enough to really even be on Twitter’s or Musk’s radar

400k+ followers and…

Every online neo-Nazi these days is out there expecting to be paid for their racism and StoneToss is no different. He’s made his cartoon into a cash cow through donations and sales of merchandise related to the comic. Plush toys made in “StoneToss” style are sold through his website, and he has solicited payments through crowdsourced donation platforms, like the short-lived Nazi-friendly fundraising site Hatreon.

12 Likes

its so fucking predictable, isnt it?

21 Likes

And also Musk’s gone past the bend and can’t stop doubling down. IMHO both of these aspects are contributing, and probably are exacerbated by likely ketamine overuse.

He might be an example of someone whose sane portion parlayed letting their insane portion out, just enough to monetize it. But then, the way he kept earning more money from his illness made it more and more difficult to put the effort in to heal it. And now, his illness is pretty far into the driver’s seat.

4 Likes

Well, I’d never heard of him. Now I have.
Q.E.D.

4 Likes

So, it’s a case of “I am not a fascist, I just agree with what they say and do”.

I used to follow the antifascist détournement of Hans Kristian Graebener’s work, but I realised it was still doing damage to my mental health and stopped about two years ago.

16 Likes

Well, doubling down is a virtue amongst these types. I mean, just look at their orange Dear Leader, the racist asshole who disgraced the Oval Office from 2017 to January 2021. He’s the sort that refused to ever admit he was wrong, even when everybody knew it.

Ach ja, und Hans Kristian Graebner (was, kein “Christian” oder “Gräbner” wie in der geliebte Mutterland?) ist ein Arschloch, ein Neonazi. Sollte man immer wieder sagen.

9 Likes

For sure. But also, that kind of doubling down is mainly useful in the narrow vein of being popular in a conservative political context. And much less so, being financially successful in a business context.

Elon appears to have confused the two.

1 Like

There are lots of people doing non-edgy, non-fascist adjacent jokes which are actually funny.

I’m just saying…

6 Likes

You know what they say about fucking goats ironically.

13 Likes

Man fuck that guy and fuck Elon for protecting him.

Hans should tuck his tail between his legs and log off.

2 Likes

And if the muskrat posted an edited comic of his, then he knew, because “Stonetoss is a Nazi” is itself a bigger meme than any of the individual comics.

7 Likes

I’ve been following this, just to see how bad Twitter has gotten since mostly migrating to BlueSky. It seems like most of the “censorship” is because there are a ton of bots on Twitter mass-reporting any mention of the name Hans Kristian Graebener. Twitter fired most of their human moderation team, so it is likely the moderation is automated as well.

People who have been hit with violations are having wildly inconsistent experiences. Some have had their accounts suspended without recourse, some have had to delete the tweet, some been able to successfully appeal it only to have it flagged again hours after the tweet was restored.

All for doing the exact same thing, which isn’t even doxxing per Twitter’s ToS. Just the name of a pseudonymous public figure is not harassment.

It would appear both the reporting and the handling of those reports are on full self driving, if you will.

The idea the Elon Musk is doing it himself or has directed Twitter to do it is frankly ludicrous. If Elon/Twitter wanted to block that name, it would simply be impossible to post it. That is what he did when everyone was posting URLs to sties that tracked Elon’s private jet: You simply couldn’t tweet about it unless you hid it behind a URL shortener, and that only worked once. After Twitter learned what the real URL was, that short URL was also blocked.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Could happen to anyone, really. “Donald Trump Didn’t Want to Be President”

Michael Wolff’s ‘Fire and Fury’: Inside Trump’s White House

4 Likes

Yeah that quote is often mentioned in connection with people who incite stochastic actions, but in this case you can’t really blame Elon, aside from the decaying state he has left Twitter in.

Stonetoss whined on Twitter about his identity being revealed in an appeal for Elon to do something, but Musk hasn’t responded. It would certainly be noted if he had, and he likes to run his mouth. Boy, does he ever.

There are a lot of stonetoss fans on Twitter, as you might expect. The massive effort to silence anyone who mentions his name is not surprising. They (and their bots) are doing it.

So all this fucking racist ass tweets are someone else? He’s VERY MUCH pushing white supremacy on twitter and pretty much has been since he bought it. That’s just a fact.

And pushing white supremacy BY DEFINITION is engaging in stochastic terrorism. :woman_shrugging: Denyhing that is like saying that William Pierce had no influence the Oklahoma City bombing, when he very much did.

Open your eyes dude.

16 Likes

It was really the Huns that sacked the city. Musk didn’t do anything more than invite them over and give them the gate keys!

13 Likes

I’d never heard of stonetoss before this, so I went and looked him up. Offensiveness aside, these are seriously lame comics.

Sometimes I have to grudgingly admit that someone I loathe is intelligent or witty. This is not one of those times.

11 Likes

I am sure they are amusing to people who buy into the mindset behind them.

There must be a dissertation on the subject of the semiotics of memes.

3 Likes