NBA pulls 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte over North Carolina's transgender bathroom law

It must be really weird and sad to go through life in a state of extreme paranoia, looking over your shoulder at everyone in public restrooms, wondering which one of them is secretly a woman with a fake beard, sneaking in to see your penis. Watching every woman walking into the restroom where your daughter is, terrified that one of them is a man in a dress who’s going to spy on your kids. What a surreal way to live.

4 Likes

For fuck’s sake. It’s a public bathroom. Let me count the number of times I’ve seen someone else’s genitals in a public restroom: Zero. Public bathrooms are not in themselves private. They contain private places like stalls.

And then there’s this BS birth certificate nonsense. Do we not carry around enough fucking paperwork in our daily lives? Are we now supposed to carry a filing cabinet with us at all times to exist, or else risk being some kind of undocumented immigrant into public life? Don’t ever tell me that this is the party of small government at work. That’s a fucking joke.

10 Likes

North Carolina will look up and shout save us?

8 Likes

Ghazi Ghazi Benghazi
Bananafana Fenghazi
Me Mi Menghazi
Benghazi!

But seriously, organizations like the NBA these days need to have official diversity/inclusion/anti-discrimination policies. When we think NBA we think of basketball players, but the NBA has thousands of employees who do finances, logistical work, and on and on.

An allstar game isn’t organized by the players, it is organized by a big organization that hires a diverse set of people. I have no idea whether the NBA is a very diverse organization or not, but they almost certainly have trans employees just because of their size. They also have fancy lawyers who tell them things like, “Never ask anyone if they are trans, never assume anyone is or is not trans.” because the job of those lawyers is to keep them from getting sued for discrimination.

So when the NBA says it won’t have the game in NC, they aren’t using NC to make an example for any agenda. They are just listening to those same lawyers, who are reminding them, “If your employees are trans - and you don’t know if they are - then you could get yourself into trouble here.” I mean, maybe the leadership in the NBA is actually very pro trans rights, but whether they are or not, that bathroom law just make NC a non-option for any large company looking to host a major event.

Lawmakers are supported by a civil service so that the civil service can explain shit like this. Listen to your goddamned policy analysts. Or, if no one saw this coming, get some new goddamned policy analysts.

8 Likes

I am doing my Superior Dance!

5 Likes

probably…enough to piss off the Pope.

Edit:

Someone needs to do a breakdown of all the money that North Carolina is losing versus how much is coming in thanks to “family” organizations. I bet the gap is bigger than the one between the 1% and the rest of us.

3 Likes

It’s okay, they’ll be safe at the church!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.