Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts: 'If you legalize marijuana, you're gonna kill your kids'

Oh… you know… 80-90 years.

18 Likes

I imagine the old urban myth - about someone smoking a joint then jumping off a building because they thought they could fly - is still going around and being quoted as a reason why cannabis is deadly.

5 Likes

So someone else’s over stimulated dick can cause blindness? We need to urgently amend the age-old admonition!

7 Likes

I haven’t run into a kid from Colorado in months. Now I know. So sad.

13 Likes
26 Likes

looks around So that’s where all those corpses came from. :roll_eyes:

This entire country legalized it, there’s a store in every second strip mall and… nope. The health agencies haven’t announced sweeping deaths, yet. In fact, aside from an uptick in commercial lease occupancies¹, there hasn’t really been a change to society at all.

¹Which helped mitigate the downtick as businesses in other industries went out of business thanks to the pandemic. Mostly ones that were dying, anyway, but the pandemic sped it up.

22 Likes

You know what’s going to kill me about ganja? How freaking awesome this Crafty+ vaporizer I recently got is. I have to say, it’s just tops. Thanks to folks who made some suggestions in another thread, it’s working out A-OK! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

18 Likes
32 Likes

Regardless of the made up BS, I’m actually curious what the long term effect on mental health is for legalization. I suspect it is more or less a wash. That is, unless you include the negative mental health effects of incarceration, in which case legalization is an easy winner.

5 Likes

Tell that to Canada - we have legal weed across the entire country. Our police are happy to turn their law enforcement efforts elsewhere, and have for a couple of decades, Steven Harper notwithstanding.

15 Likes

It’s the same absolutism about homosexuals. We asked for some-sex marriages, but they hear “Better not drop the soap in the shower.” 'Cause the gays are degenerates and will attack any visible butt-hole.

8 Likes

I half blue myself!

2 Likes

I’ve only ever heard that one as LSD-induced. But I wouldn’t put it past them.

In Canada, I struggle with, yet support, child-resistant packaging. But 40-pounder bottles of 40% alcohol, enough to kill a child, have simple screw caps. And no politician would dare suggest child-resistant packing for booze.

12 Likes

That sounds like a misspoken threat to me.

7 Likes

Of course not! They’re drunk all the time and know how hard it would be to open the next bottle.

8 Likes

Exactly. He’s not afraid of anything to do with kids’ safety, he’s afraid of a reduction in the campaign contributions he gets from he buddy who runs the privately owned prisons in his state.

Gotta keep them prison dollars rollin’ in!

14 Likes

Take their weed, give 'em guns. That’s the ticket.

4 Likes

If you elect Republicans, you’re going to kill everyone.

https://vpc.org/press/states-with-weak-gun-laws-and-higher-gun-ownership-lead-nation-in-gun-deaths-new-data-for-2018-confirms/

23 Likes

I’m not shocked he’s standing behind a SAM logo on the lectern.

That is Patrick Kennedy’s use of his family fortune to spread lies in every state. I’ve also heard that when the lies don’t work, there are convenient green-filled envelopes passed around. Kennedy couldn’t control himself with harder drugs, and now feels it’s his duty to force on the the poor proletariat the idea that if he can’t handle a habit-forming substance, nobody can.

He, David Frum, and Kevin Saber will say or do anything to obscure the truth, and have set back legalization efforts in many states with their outright falsehoods and false analogies.

9 Likes