Neo-nazi assholes seek to chase Jews from Whitefish, Montana

Well it’s not like the things are big enough to show off anyhow.

But this is different cause reasons.

2 Likes

Being an atheist, that’s not something I had ever thought of doing since I tend not to associate with the religious part of the religion, but it also seems like a really interesting experiment. I might try it.

5 Likes

A fund for lawyers might be more useful. Lawyers are like reactive armour. The first Jew shoots a white supremacist, even one pointing a gun in their face, the neo-Nazi propaganda machine will be coming over all Reichstag fire again. Look for laws against riotous assembly. Dig into these people’s history; have they outstanding warrants against them in other jurisdictions? Tie them in red tape.

14 Likes

I’ve done it, but that was over a decade ago. But I properly separated my variables, too, and that resulted in interesting results. I wore my tzitzit and yamulke, or a tshirt that read “Atheist”, or a generic geeky t-shirt and walked around the mall on three consecutive days.

End results were interesting.

15 Likes

Well duh, why do we need the ACLU?

Guns solve everything and you can obviously just shoot people who make unspecific threats that don’t involve direct risk life and property.

2 Likes

Well, what did you glean?

Unfortunately, it seems dressing in anything other than generic Gap fashion will leave one to invite ridicule or unwanted comments too often (ie. religious clothing (esp Jewish and Muslim, but I’ve also seen it happen to Mennonites), “too sexy” clothing, fringe culture (goth, punk), dorky or nerdy (though that is much more acceptable than 20 years ago), the wrong sports team in some areas, something “too cultural” (ie Indian or African sarong/dress), Nickleback Tshirts (ok, these people deserve what they get).

Unless you’re still in High School, there really isn’t an excuse for being a jerk because of someone’s clothing choices.

2 Likes

Well, first off, I should point out that this was in Cleveland, Ohio, right near Beachwood, which has the highest per capita percentage of ethnic and religious Jews in the world outside of Israel. So there’s some bias in that sample. Also, I was in high school at the time (taking classes at the local community college; this was a project for the psych 101 class I was in).

However, wearing ostentatiously religious garb still resulted in me getting a great deal of negative attention from non-Jews, including poorer service and active snubbing by the staff, and one person that actively tried to convert me and swore at me when I rebuffed them; in terms of number of incidents, walking around as an ostentatiously religious Jew resulted in a marked increase in systemic bias and latent hostility, although most of it was non-confrontational.

The Atheist shirt, on the other hand, got more negative attention in terms of degree of incidents, the bias was more explicit; instead of the shunning and such, I got more people in my face telling me to repent or trying to get me to come “back to Jesus”; while there were fewer incidents of bias, those that did occur tended to be much more aggressive.

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

I guess I am just not passionate enough about anything to confront someone over what they are wearing. Even something like a pro-gun control shirt. The only comments I ever make is something like, “Cool shirt.” If I don’t like something I keep it to myself. Sounds like more mothers should have taught people that.

3 Likes

I like when neo-nazis put swastikas in house and cars. Let’s me know which ones to torch.

2 Likes

Neither of those two acts requires making a blessing and you can view them as “cultural” so they dont compromise your secularity. All I ask is that if you wear obviously Jewish garments, you dont do so and go into a treif restaurant while doint so. If you feel the urge for a cheeseburger, remove kippah and tuck in tzitzit before going in.

Lets compromise and go with both!

I basically dress like an old punk when not at work. Thing is the people who take issues with jewish garb dont care about that.

The thing is the kind of comments differ. Its not the “ooh weirdo” stuff, its more the “christ killer” or “dirty jew” stuff or my favorite one so far “Allah brings joy to us for shooting Jews in the head”.

I once had a little boy come up to me in an airport in the US, he smiled and said “you killed Jesus” and then ran back to his parents. Maybe his mother taught him that?

2 Likes

OH I am not saying sexist, racial, or religious slurs are on the same level as slurs against various other identities.

He must have! LOL. Wow. That… that’s really just fucking nuts.

You should have shouted, “You’re welcome! With his death he fulfilled the prophecy and took on the burdens of your sins. Like this one. That you just did… right now… oh I think he’s too far to hear me now…”

12 Likes

Sort of an anti-passover.

3 Likes

It’s a racist topos that they were slaves (and I didn’t say so btw) but afaik they were indeed seen as non-white under certain circumstances:

By the 18th century, white had become well established as a racial term. According to John Tehranian, among those not considered white at some points in American history have been: the Germans, Greeks, white Hispanics, Arabs, Iranians, Afghans, Irish, Italians, Jews, Slavs and Spaniards.[155]

1 Like

So Christian is considered to be the default. Interesting (and not in a good way).

9 Likes

Nurture or nature? I’m betting that it wasn’t genetics.

6 Likes

Common sign at many pools in the 60s and before: “No Jews or Dogs allowed”

4 Likes

Not surprising, actually, but still disappointing. I’ve read that Atheists are the most disliked group of people in the US.

8 Likes

In the US, yes. Fortunately, most Christians aren’t Evangelical or so zealous, though there are still far too many like that. And honestly I don’t understand some sects demonizing Jews, of which Christ was supposed to be one. I mean I don’t get how in 2016 one can justify any anti-Semitic views as a Christian, not the historical baggage of the past that originated it.

This does remind me, and this is anecdotal so it by no means applies across the board, but I used to smoke cigars with a guy who was a parole officer at a large prison. He said that Jews actually were protected by the Aryans over the Hispanic and black groups. They were still looked down upon, but on the hierarchy they were still above the other “lesser” races and they would actively protect them.

I was agreeing.

2 Likes

There’s a reason I’m relocating to this side of the pond. :slight_smile:

White Christian (Protestant) Male is the default (assumption and otherwise); everything else is hyphenated and/or marginalized.

The reaction when I told people that I was a Jewish atheist was interesting, though; I’d say that half of them blue-screened from “non-overlapping category” errors, while the other half basically took that as an invitation to proselytize even harder. I joke that I was worth double Heaven points in their final score.

Christkiller. Racial Infiltrator. Unclean blood. Zionist. Oven soot. Penny-pincher. Blood drinker. Child eater. I’ve had all of those terms thrown at me in tones of utter hatred. Hate isn’t rational, but it can be rationalized, especially after it is inculcated in emotional terms. You’re couching your statement as if you’re assuming that bigots are rational.

And Fundy Christians are the worst, really, because they both hate us and need us–as a mass blood sacrifice to bring back their zombie god. So they have a double reason to loathe us–both for killing their god and for needing us to bring it back, plus blaming us for the holdup on the return schedule.

This is a micro-cosm of the larger social status of Jews, really; the people on the bottom of the heap look “up” and resent the Jews for a comparatively privileged place, while some Jews sell out to the people in charge, and the people on the top have successfully diverted the hatred that would be directed at them at another target. It’s been that way for over a thousand years; just the names of the people on the top and bottom have changed. Once it was tax collectors in England a thousand years ago. Now… it’s a universal scapegoat.

13 Likes