New Captain Marvel trailer? New Captain Marvel trailer!

An ambitious crossover!

I’d totally watch that movie…

http://nonadventures.com/2006/09/09/the-torment-of-a-thousand-yesterdays/

1 Like

He would be useful going against some of Thanos’ underlings, but not the titan himself but i highly doubt they’d use him in the movies. Would really like to see it happen though.

1 Like

technically they are not Kree powers. The Kree are only stronger and have longer life spans than average humans…think of them sort of as a race of Captain Americas. Mar-vell was experimented on and then bombarded with with photon rays. He also gained the nega bands which tapped into his psionic energy and converted them to various abilities. Eon also gave him cosmic awareness which gave him a host of other abilities. Kind of making him a hybrid of Superman and Martian Manhunter. Many of these were passed on to Carol Danvers, with some specific differences (primary being no nega bands or cosmic awareness).

OFC this was rewritten and retconned many times over.

Rogue specifically took Danvers base line powers permanently: strength, flight, invulnerability.

I agree it feels like every other MARVEL superhero movie…and I’m ok with that. They have all been generally really good. Even the worst Marvel flick (Thor 2) was infinitely better than most DC stuff or anything that came before 2008. Additionally, I am not discounting the impact a female lead will make on this one…I suspect it will have a similar wall breaking vibe that Black Panther did. Color me optimistic.

3 Likes

Nah, the worst was the first Captain America movie. That movie sucked. Thor 2 isn’t good but i was at least entertained.

1 Like

BLASPHEMY!!!

5 Likes

4 Likes

First you diss Cap, now you’re taunting Ant-Man?

5 Likes

*I do love me some Ant-man

6 Likes

First four notes of the orchestral swell at 0:25 are just like the old Batman theme (not da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, the 90s Elfman one). Anyone else hear that?

1 Like

First Avenger is not my top 5 marvel films…but it is in the upper half.

To me Dark World is the worst by a big margin. Civil War, Iron Man 3, The Incredible Hulk, and Age of Ultron all round out the bottom of the list.

2 Likes

Iron Man 3 actually seemed a step up from Iron Man 2. At least the third time around time Stark finally got to fight someone who wasn’t just wearing a variation on his own suit.

2 Likes

That is very true. But I hate guy Pearce and I loved both rourke and Rockwell. They made that one watchable for me.

1 Like

I would put Infinity War at the bottom. It Alien 3’ed Ragnarok’s hopeful ending, felt like a series of twenty-minute slices from other movies, was too crowded to build arcs or character, and ended with a manipulative reset button. We know half those “dead” people have sequels coming, Marvel!

3 Likes

That has less to do with typical Hollywood BS and more to do with the source material and the comics industry. The big cosmic crisis + crossover with a following reset has been done repeatedly by both Marvel and DC.

With mixed results.

2 Likes

Naturally. Their big events followed by universal resets is a mixed bag, i appreciate that it can make long established characters accessible to new readers but its a headache when established backstories get wholly thrown out, retconned, revamped, etc.

Yeah, and it’s something the MCU was doing a good job of avoiding (Coulson excepted). You need to have occasional reboots when your comics run for 60 years with the same characters; you don’t need to when you have a planned series of movies with actors who are going to age and go off contract anyway.

I’ve been reading Marvel Unlimited for the past few months, and while I like a lot of it they lean REALLY HARD on character death for heartstring-tugging that’s then undone with minimal fanfare. I’ve seen Thor’s funeral twice already. Cap died and came back. Bucky died but didn’t — again. Peter’s died twice. Nobody expects Chris Hemsworth to be playing Thor in twenty years so Feige COULD just write toward a real, non-manipulative end of his story instead of “killing” people who have movies coming out next year. You could do three movies with Peter Parker and switch permanently to Miles Morales.

That said, I thought the rest of IW was pretty but weak. It was just when the rest of my theater was sniffling and I had to stifle myself yelling “Really?” that I realized how much of a bait and switch it was.

That gimmick has been an overused trope in the comics industry ever since the “Death of Superman” story arc in the 90s.

6 Likes

I enjoyed the movie but because my expectations were rock bottom, i was expecting something along the lines of Age of Ultron so anything that was marginally above that was gravy for me. Not my favorite MCU film but i did have fun watching it, but yes i would love to have real stakes in the films… not every film but definitely have their heroes pass the mantle on when it makes sense to do so. After all Cap has been taken up by other people in the comics, same with Thor, Iron Man, etc.

My hunch for the films will be the universal reset, an imperfect one that will end up with new actors in familiar roles which i would be ok with but certainly would hope its the sort of thing they draw from just the one time.

1 Like