Nikki Haley resigns as U.N. Ambassador

I’m not from the USA. Above, it says “UN Ambassador Nikki Haley might well be the only person in the Trump administration you actually like”. For me, that’s not true. She was just a mouthpiece, and not likeable. Neither, I’m afraid to say, is Mr Trump, nor was Mrs Clinton, the opposition.

However. Good luck with all the politicians you have, and - like in the UK - I hope some better ones come along!

2 Likes

According to the Grey Lady, Haley might herself be in favour of such a successor:

“Jared is such a hidden genius that no one understands,” Ms. Haley said. “And Ivanka has been just a great friend, and they do a lot of things behind the scenes that I wish more people knew about, because we’re a better country because they’re in this administration.”

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

4 Likes

My bet is that she knows of something bad about to happen, and doesn’t want it to happen on her watch.

C-suite job at Facebook.

3 Likes

And the even shittier thing is that other than being to the left on some social issues, our resistance, the establishment/corporate Dems, are pretty much the same.

And that’s where I have to take a hard divergence from you, my friend. As shitty as as frustrating as Democrats often (usually?) are, there is an enormous gulf between them and even the “reasonable” GOP on any number of enormously important issues.

Democrats wouldn’t have scuttled the Iran deal, or pulled out of Paris, or appointed Brett fucking Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, or dismantled the EPA, or given massive generational tax breaks to the wealthiest people in the country, or any number of other bucket list items the GOP is currently having a field day with.

2 Likes

Sure, but they’ve only been able to do so because going back to Bill Clinton, Dem leaders have slid further and further into quasi-fascist neoliberalism, caring less and less for the conditions of most of the rest of us, and thereby fostering the conditions that laid the foundation for Trumpism. And Hillary Clinton obviously would have continued the slide rightward and downward. Obama was bombing what, seven countries when he left office? And do keep looking away from the state that he and Clinton left Libya in.

I mean, obviously the Dems aren’t as bad, but in a sense, what’s really worse?

I just get leery and weary of the nearly pervasive sense on the American left that if we just had someone like Obama back in office, everything would be okay again.

Trump and the GOP. It isn’t even close. Not remotely. That’s my point. One can make a very good case outlining all the ways in which Democrats have not lived up to their better ideals and failed us in any number of ways. And it still isn’t close. Even if the ONLY difference between the parties was the justices appointed to the Supreme Court (and it’s not), that would be an enormous difference by itself.

Okay, I get it, you want me to keep it simple.

But I’ll keep taking my cue instead from people like Brother Malcolm.

1 Like

Quite the opposite. I think you are being overly simplistic, and failing to recognize complexity.

And if you think that having a majority of people on the Supreme Court picked by Republicans (especially these Republicans) vs. one picked by Democrats doesn’t carry real meaningful stakes for people of color (and women, and gay folks) then you either aren’t paying attention or you’re not being honest, to put a very blunt point on it.

And if you think that’s what I’m saying, you haven’t been listening to me, which means it’s time for me to stop trying. Have a great day.

2 Likes

I am listening to you, especially your central thesis that Democrats are “pretty much the same” as the GOP. They aren’t. And your question of “what’s really worse?” is not difficult to answer at all.

Listen, I get it, a lot of Democrats suck in a myriad of ways. Nobody thinks people like Schumer or Pelosi or Feinstein are heroes or particularly good at their jobs. Obama’s tenure had plenty of failures of opportunity. Clinton was not exactly the next Paul Wellstone. But it’s simply sophistry to pretend that on balance the parties are “pretty much the same” in their real-world consequences.

1 Like

I am sorry, but quotes like this are used to keep liberals, black and white, away from the polls. If you believe this, then why vote at all? Just stay at home and stew. I don’t believe this is true, even thought I agree that the dems are weak tea at times. The idea that having openly racist neonazi asshats in power is no different than having even a corporate shill like Hillary is laughable. Is the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the Lily Ledbetter Act of no consequence? If so, why are the repubs so eager to gut them? No, the dems are not perfect, but in this system we really do need to choose the lesser of two evils, because the greater of those two has been an utter disaster.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.