No One is Illegal

6 Likes

The only encouraging thing are the first few of the article’s comments at the bottom about abolishing ICE. The rest of it is super scary and maddening.

Here’s the link to the original arrticle. Paywalled, of course, but I can get you the pdf if you’r really interested

There’s a story from December 1936 headlined

There’s a book review from 1935 that reviews prsion camp memoirs from both the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany
“Two first hand accounts which picture a similar barbarity of treatment”

“Both books have the appearance of veracity and neither writer seems to have played up his experiences for the sake of making his story effective. If only half the incidents recorded are true, the books would still carry to any reader who believed in human rights, unqualified condemnation of the repressive systems which they describe.”

Maybe their Berlin correspondent was just too credulous.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Sigh.

2 Likes

From the Newsweek article:

ICE’s new training facility is expected to include,“at a minimum,” a “multitude of basic, intermediate and hyper-realistic training devices, a tactical training warehouse, classroom facilities and vehicle assault training area.”

Hyper-realism, the agency states, is “a critical component to this acquisition as the details provide essential information that must be acknowledged, processed and acted upon to minimize risk to our Special Agents, Deportation Officers and SRT operators during high-risk search and arrest warrants, fugitive operations, undercover operations, hostage rescue, gang operations, etc.”

What in the flying fuck does ICE think it is? And is this some sort of end run around the Posse Comitatus Act?

3 Likes

It makes more sense when translated to mid-century German.

3 Likes

I heard about that this morning, down at Ft. Benning. It’s like School for the Americas, but for training people for actions inside the US.

Probably.

5 Likes

OTOH, even when snatching people from private houses, they only “need” a warrant in theory. In practice, they can just snatch and disappear anyone who isn’t privileged enough to have legal clout.

3 Likes

I like to think of “warrantless” as synonymous with “unwarranted”. There may be a legal distinction, but spiritually it’s comforting to think that there ought to be a firm evidentiary basis for the government’s use of violence.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court majority is unlikely to share that view.

I think the scariest part of it in my mind is that these agencies believe that they are the ones who determine what the law is or is not, and try to exclude the entire legislative process. Extremely alarming.

4 Likes

It’s still unconstitutional. The 4th Amendment applies to “persons” not “citizens,” and therefore every human being present in the United States.

3 Likes

OTOH, as with everything else, this isn’t really new. The US Constitution has always had an unwritten clause: “offer only valid if white and wealthy”.

6 Likes

S’truth.

image https://media3.giphy.com/media/XOFsOM3MnuWEE/giphy.gif

1 Like
3 Likes
8 Likes

the responses to the Charli XKCD tweet are priceless.

2 Likes

History repeats.

Part of the reason for the foundation of the Nazi extermination camps was because they felt that participation in more direct forms of mass-murder was causing excessive psychological distress to their soldiers.

4 Likes

I recall reading a story that speculated that Trump spouts egregious untruths as a means of gauging absolute loyalty among his subordinates.

1 Like

I suspect that requires far more cerebral ability of Il Douche than he has presented up to now. I think he spouts untruths because he just makes shit up and expects that everyone will bow and scrape because he is Il Douche.

1 Like