Nobody wants a push-button orgasm

You know, that was my second thought (after “This would be the end of civilization”)

3 Likes

One of the real human experiments in the wikipedia article I linked above says that the subject (a male) who had the device active for three 3 hour sessions activated it 1,200, 1,500, and 900 times in each session, and pleaded not to have it taken away. I think that’s your answer, right there.

10 Likes

It could save minutes per day!

12 Likes

SMBC Theater’s Starpocalpse had someone invent the Orgasm button, they incorporated it into a helmet that people just wore all the time. It was pretty hilarious.

3 Likes

You’re speaking metaphorically, right?

7 Likes

Respect. You’re like Claudette Colvin.

2 Likes

I seem to remember Axel couldn’t press his own button, though?

First thing I thought of, too!

2 Likes

The anticipation is the turn on.

And who says the button doesn’t have a dimmer switch attached, or a timer? This is the age of electrickery.

No need for a brutal ‘push the big red button’ ‘go maximum nirvana’.

1 Like

I believe as soon as you found out someone had one of these installed, you would figure out how to hack it with an iphone.

Morally wrong, but gaspingly funny.

7 Likes

See also http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/2008/12/pleasures-perils-why-sex-chip-may-not.html

Mice with a food button and an orgasm to choose between button do not do well.

2 Likes

So the orgasm button would lead to people eating less food? This just gets better and better.

6 Likes

A random timer.

3 Likes

That’s actually been tried…with predictable (and somewhat horrifying) results

"The patient even developed a chronic ulceration at the tip of the finger she used to adjust the amplitude. And interestingly, the patient frequently tampered with the device in an effort to increase the stimulation. The patient eventually asked for limited access to the device, only to eventually demand that it be returned to her.

3 Likes

I bet there’s a DARPA project to litter battlefields with portable versions.

In fact, I’ll be damned if there isn’t a secret side to my iphone - global distribution + GPS = the war never even started.

1 Like

Well, I suppose with non-wireheads around to force feed the wireheads they wouldn’t starve. But I worry about the neurological distinction between liking and wanting. And how to settle the different preferences of my current and future selves (I want an orgasm at any particular moment, but I also want to continue living in a functioning society and being a useful member thereof). Addicts face this problem every day, and such a device as this plays with humanity’s most powerful drives and feelings.

3 Likes

Don’t be a jerk. My wife’s got a job where someone connecting 2 and 2 could cost her her jo; I know the BoingBoing crowd is against that, though, so here goes.

Your extended analogy has left me feeling very confused about planes.

5 Likes

I think that it works something like this…

When the female is receptive she will lift her bay and expose her volga sign.

20 Likes

A couple of past girlfriends already pretty much had that facility built-in. People differ. It’s what makes people worth bothering with.

2 Likes