Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

This is a non-argument. Particularly since it’s selectively applied.

1 Like

A friend of mine is a photographer and art model and she puts a lot of energy into creating and disseminating nude images of herself, both on the internet and in galleries. Is she doing something wrong?

well, insofar as it is an atomic statement, it is indeed, not a fully formed argument. Very perceptive.

Go on?

No, I don’t think so. That’s her artistic engagement. I think there is a big difference between that and women being objectified in mass media forms, such as comics. Plus, it’s her own body and her own art, not someone else profiting off her body.

3 Likes

Not enough detail to know. Is she 14? then yes, likely something wrong.

1 Like

(Sigh). Yes nude humans automatically equal “art”.

Is what your friend does art or “art” ? Impossible to form an opinion without actually seeing it and/or reading an artist’s statement and/or understanding the context and/or motivations.

2 Likes

It’s easy to explain Namor the Sub-Mariner’s costume. He’s wearing a swimsuit because swimming is pretty much his thing.

Now, care to explain these?

4 Likes

So if a gallery were to make a percentage is she suddenly 15% wrong or does that only apply if the gallery is owned by a male?

Artists with body dysmorphic disorder has always been my assumption.

4 Likes

Actually, as someone who has been part of the “queer community” for a long time, I agree with you. It’s not like people have never spoken about the homoerotic nature of some comics. Sometimes it’s pretty obvious. And I don’t think it takes away from the larger discussion, over all. It’s still being written with the male gaze in mind, just not an (always) totally straight one.

I’d imagine this also depends on some context, too, which you don’t really provide with the pictures you share (that I can see). What is the context of the picture of the guy in the red shorts laying on the blue towel? For example. That’s got to be 80’s, right? Things were weird in the 80’s…

Plenty of people argue that gay men feel the pressure to be thin and fit. There is definitely that sort of culture within the gay community.

6 Likes

Mod note: Stop the trite arguments. Stay on topic.

2 Likes

So if I photographed her I’d be doing something wrong? :anguished:

Don’t look at my tumblr!

It’s a different context than mass media culture. The artist has to eat and the gallery has to pay its utilities and turn enough of a profit to hire curators, etc.

Not necessarily.

So sexualization is dependant on the income level of the persons selling it.

Arguably the entire topic is a trite argument.

Spider Gwen.

2 Likes

Almost sounds like it’s not worth your time. Except for the proof to the contrary.

Demean, dissemble, distract, derail.

4 Likes

Who said I don’t enjoy trite arguments?

No, on the context of the work and the intent of the author, I’d say. Also, the expectations of the consuming audience by the audience and publisher. Playboy is clearly sexualizing/objectifying women for profit. comics that have unrealistic depictions of women for no real reason, are engaing in a similar project, though for a different audience. An artist taking pictures of herself and posting them in a gallery is not the same thing.

2 Likes